Bohol links decline in South Korean visitors to security issues, high costs

By Almira Louise S. Martinez, Reporter
BOHOL, one of the top tourist destinations in the Philippines, is experiencing a drop in visitors from South Korea due to security concerns and travel costs, according to the province鈥檚 tourism council.
鈥淥ne of their issues is really security, and also cost,鈥 Lucas M. Nunag, co-chairman of the provincial tourism council of Bohol, told 大象传媒 in an interview on Monday.
鈥淭hey say that there are cheaper destinations in the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) region, particularly Vietnam,鈥 he added.聽
Although the decline can be observed nationwide, Mr. Nunag noted that it is more pronounced in Bohol.
鈥淭he whole country is suffering from a drop in arrivals from Korea,鈥 he said. 鈥淭hat鈥檚 the same story with Bohol, more so in Bohol, because we now have Korean establishments and direct flights from Korea to Panglao International Airport.鈥
Mr. Nunag added that seven daily flights from Korea to Bohol went down to three to four flights.
鈥淚 think a large factor is the fact that there are economic issues within Korea itself; they don鈥檛 have as much disposable income to spend on tourism.鈥
The Department of Tourism (DoT) said during the House committee on appropriations hearing that the decline in Korean tourists is happening across Southeast Asia.
Tourism Secretary Ma. Esperanza Christina G. Frasco said that South Korea arrivals in Thailand decreased to -17%, Singapore at -2%, Cambodia at -7%, and Vietnam at -2%.
She added that the DoT acknowledges the safety concerns of tourists, which led the department to coordinate with Malaca帽ang for the formation of a national task force on tourist safety.
Over 8,000 tourist police nationwide were also trained under the Tourist-Oriented Police for Community Order and Protection (TOPCOP) program.
鈥淲e are also working with the Korean embassy as well as the Korean community to express that we are willing to collaborate to ensure that we give priority to our guests, including tourists,鈥 Ms. Frasco said.
According to the Tourism chief, the Philippines has so far welcomed over 880,000 South Korean tourists, as of Sept. 1.
OTHER FOREIGN VISITORS
Amid the decline in South Korean visitors, Bohol plans to establish relationships with other countries.
鈥淲e鈥檙e trying to work on sisterhood arrangements with Bali because their main source of tourism is Australia,鈥 Mr. Nunag said. 鈥淲e鈥檙e looking at the possibility of linking up with their operator so they could bring the (tourists) to the Philippines.鈥
鈥淚f the Australians come to Bohol, they will also visit the other destinations,鈥 he added.
Bohol is also working on 鈥渞egional circuits鈥 to promote other neighboring tourist spots within the area.
鈥淚t鈥檚 not just Bohol that we would like to promote, it鈥檚 also the other destinations in the area, like Siquijor, Camiguin, because we have connectivity by sea and air,鈥 he said.
鈥淲e could even link to Mindanao because the operator of Panglao airport is the same company that operates Laguindingan airport in Cagayan de Oro,鈥 he added.
In June 2025, Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc. (AIC) took over the operations of Bohol Panglao International Airport. The AIC aims to increase the airport鈥檚 capacity to 2.5 million annual passengers from 2 million within the first two years and further increase annual passenger capacity to 3.9 million by 2030.


