
BEIRUT/TEL AVIV 鈥 Israel carried out its heaviest strikes on Lebanon since the conflict with Hezbollah broke out last month, killing more than 250 people on Wednesday, as the Iran-aligned group resumed rocket attacks on northern Israel after a brief pause under the two-week US-Iran ceasefire.
The strikes raised questions about regional truce efforts, with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian saying a ceasefire in Lebanon was an essential condition of his country鈥檚 agreement with the US.
On Wednesday afternoon, at least five consecutive strikes rocked the capital Beirut, sending columns of smoke into the sky as Israel鈥檚 military said it had launched the largest coordinated strike of the war. More than 100 Hezbollah command centers and military sites were targeted in Beirut, the Bekaa Valley and southern Lebanon within ten minutes, it said.
A total of 254 people were killed and over 1,100 wounded across Lebanon, the country鈥檚 civil defense service said. The highest toll was in Beirut, where 91 people were killed. The health ministry gave a toll of 182 dead across the country and said it was not a final figure.
Hezbollah said early on Thursday it fired rockets at the small kibbutz of Manara, citing what it described as Israel鈥檚 ceasefire violations.
鈥淭his response will continue until the Israeli-American aggression against our country and our people ceases,鈥 the group said in a statement.
It was the deadliest day of the war that erupted on March 2, when Hezbollah fired into Israel in support of Tehran after the US-Israeli attack on Iran two days earlier. Israel launched a fully fledged air and ground campaign in response.
Reuters reporters saw civil defense workers guiding an older woman onto a crane to evacuate her from a building in a western part of Beirut. Half of the building had been sheared off in an Israeli strike, leaving residents on the upper floors trapped.
Earlier, Reuters reporters saw people on motorcycles picking up the wounded and transporting them to hospitals because there were not enough ambulances to get to them in time. One of Beirut鈥檚 biggest medical facilities said it needed donations of all blood types.
鈥淭he scale of the killing and destruction in Lebanon today is nothing short of horrific,鈥 said UN Human Rights Chief Volker T褜rk. 鈥淪uch carnage, within hours of agreeing to a ceasefire with Iran, defies belief.鈥
Late on Wednesday evening, a strike hit Beirut鈥檚 southern suburbs, according to a Reuters live broadcast.
ISRAEL, US SAY LEBANON NOT INCLUDED IN TRUCE
In a televised address on Wednesday evening, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Lebanon was not part of the ceasefire with Iran and the Israeli military was continuing to strike Hezbollah with force.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt and Vice President JD Vance also said on Wednesday that Lebanon was not included in the truce.
鈥淚 think this comes from a legitimate misunderstanding. I think the Iranians thought that the ceasefire included Lebanon, and it just didn鈥檛,鈥 Mr. Vance told reporters in Budapest.
Earlier, Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, a key intermediary in the US-Iran ceasefire talks, had said the truce would include Lebanon.
In a statement, Hezbollah condemned what it called Israel鈥檚 鈥渂arbaric aggression鈥 and said the attacks underscored its right to respond.
Hezbollah had stopped attacking Israeli targets early on Wednesday, three Lebanese sources close to the group told Reuters.
鈥淗ezbollah was informed that it is part of the ceasefire 鈥 so we abided by it, but Israel as usual has violated it and committed massacres all across Lebanon,鈥 senior Hezbollah lawmaker Ibrahim al-Moussawi told Reuters.
Another Hezbollah lawmaker, Hassan Fadlallah, told Reuters there would be 鈥渞epercussions for the entire agreement鈥 if Israel鈥檚 attacks continued.
Iran鈥檚 Revolutionary Guards warned the US and Israel it would deliver a 鈥渞egret-inducing response鈥 if attacks on Lebanon did not stop.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned Wednesday鈥檚 strikes and said French President Emmanuel Macron had told him he was ready to make a diplomatic push for Lebanon to be included in any ceasefire.
A senior Lebanese official had earlier told Reuters that Lebanon had not taken part in correspondence leading up to the ceasefire.
鈥業鈥橫 LIVING A NIGHTMARE鈥
Most of Wednesday鈥檚 strikes were in civilian-populated areas, Israel鈥檚 military said. Hours before the attacks, the military had issued warnings for some areas of southern Beirut and southern Lebanon. No such warning was given for central Beirut, which was also hit.
Following the strikes, Israeli military spokesperson Avichay Adraee said on X that Hezbollah had moved out of its traditional Shi鈥檌te stronghold in southern Beirut鈥檚 Dahiyeh neighborhood to religiously mixed areas elsewhere.
He said Israel鈥檚 military would pursue Hezbollah wherever it was.
The Israeli military said it attacked a Hezbollah commander in Beirut, without providing further details.
In a western neighborhood of Beirut that was hit by a strike, Naim Chebbo, 51, swept up shards of glass that had been blown out of the window frames by the force of the blast.
鈥淭onight I鈥檓 not going to sleep because I鈥檓 going to be afraid that it鈥檚 happening again. I鈥檓 living a nightmare,鈥 he told Reuters.
鈥楲EBANON CAN鈥橳 TAKE IT ANYMORE鈥
Israel also struck the last remaining bridge linking southern Lebanon to the rest of the country on Wednesday, a senior Lebanese security source said. The bridge ran over the Litani River, which runs about 30 kilometers (20 miles) north of the border with Israel.
An Israeli military spokesperson said the area south of the Litani was 鈥渄isconnected from Lebanon.鈥
Israel has said it intends to occupy the area as a 鈥渂uffer zone.鈥 It has struck hospitals and power stations there, and thousands of Lebanese civilians still living there say they have been struggling with a shortage of food and medicine.
Israel has issued evacuation orders covering around 15% of Lebanese territory, mostly in the south and in suburbs south of Beirut. More than 1.2 million people have been displaced.
Many had hoped a ceasefire could allow them to return. Outside a school sheltering displaced people in the southern Lebanese city of Sidon, people had piled their pillows and blankets onto cars, thinking they could return home.
Before Wednesday鈥檚 attacks, more than 1,500 had been killed in Israel鈥檚 air and ground campaign across Lebanon, including more than 130 children.
鈥淗opefully a ceasefire will be reached,鈥 said Ahmed Harm, a 54-year-old man displaced from Beirut鈥檚 southern suburbs. 鈥淟ebanon can鈥檛 take it anymore.鈥 鈥听搁别耻迟别谤蝉


