MICHA BRANDLI-UNSPLASH

SEOUL 鈥 North Korea on Monday criticized US Secretary of State Marco Rubio for calling it a 鈥渞ogue state鈥 in a media interview, saying his comments do not help US interests, state media KCNA said.

North Korea鈥檚 foreign ministry said the country will respond strongly to hostile US provocations, KCNA reported.

It is North Korea鈥檚 first criticism of the Trump administration since President Donald J. Trump reentered the White House on Jan. 20, Yonhap news agency said.

The ministry also condemned United States鈥 new missile defense shield plan, saying that it makes it necessary for North Korea to strengthen its own military power, KCNA reported.

Mr. Trump last week signed an order that 鈥渕andated a process to develop an 鈥楢merican Iron Dome,鈥欌 a next-generation US missile defense shield against ballistic, hypersonic, cruise missile and other forms of aerial attack.

鈥淭he idea of a new missile defense system, which recalls the specter of the dangerous 鈥楽tar Wars鈥 plan of… the Cold War, poses a risk of justifying an arms race under the pretext of coping with the 鈥榯hreat鈥 of adversaries, regardless of its feasibility,鈥 North Korea鈥檚 foreign ministry said, according to KCNA.

鈥淭he increasingly harsh global security environment urgently calls for us to constantly develop self-defense capabilities based on nuclear deterrence.鈥 鈥 Reuters