SC junks plea to produce ICC warrant

THE Supreme Court (SC) en banc has denied a motion by former President Rodrigo R. Duterte and Senator Ronald 鈥淏ato鈥 M. dela Rosa seeking to compel government agencies to produce an alleged International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant against the senator.
The SC on Tuesday ruled that there was no sufficient basis to immediately compel production of the alleged warrant but directed the respondents, including Ombudsman Jesus Crispin C. Remulla, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Foreign Affairs, to submit comments on the petitioners鈥 claims within 10 days.
鈥淭he court acted on the submissions but found no sufficient basis to immediately compel production of the alleged warrant,鈥 the SC said in a statement.
The petition, originally filed on March 11 challenged Mr. Duterte鈥檚 potential arrest and the Philippine government鈥檚 cooperation with the ICC through the Interpol.
On Nov. 12 the petitioners filed a Very Urgent Motion seeking to compel Mr. Remulla to produce a copy of the alleged ICC warrant against Mr. Dela Rosa. In a separate Very Urgent Manifestation dated Nov. 13, petitioners alleged that Mr. Remulla publicly stated that 鈥渁n ICC arrest warrant had already been issued鈥 and that a 鈥渄iffusion order鈥 was in place.
They also claimed he said the government could surrender Mr. Dela Rosa 鈥渨ithout undergoing extradition proceedings鈥 and that 鈥渢he DoJ has placed at least three witnesses under the Witness Protection Program at the ICC鈥檚 request.鈥 鈥 Erika Mae P. Sinaking


