Support for Marcos camp at risk as Duterte feud escalates, analysts say

By Kenneth Christiane L. Basilio, Reporter
PHILIPPINE PRESIDENT Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. should not appear to go overboard in his squabble with the Dutertes as it could backfire and weaken political support for his camp as the country nears its midterm polls, analysts said.
Mr. Marcos鈥 government dealt successive blows against the Dutertes by surrendering his predecessor, former President Rodrigo R. Duterte to the International Criminal Court (ICC) last week to face trial for alleged crimes against humanity, just over a month after his daughter, Vice-President Sara Duterte-Carpio, was impeached by the House of Representatives on Feb. 5.
鈥淭he Marcos camp should handle this carefully since they cannot appear to be overdoing it,鈥 Arjan P. Aguirre, who teaches political science at the Ateneo de Manila University, said in a Facebook Messenger chat.
鈥淚t may backfire. There already seems to be a shift, a resurgence of wide support for the Dutertes,鈥 he added.
The Philippines has been embroiled in a deepening political feud between two of the country鈥檚 most influential families. Their alliance publicly eroded last year after a series of escalating tit-for-tat exchanges between the Marcoses and the Dutertes.
鈥淧eople might develop sympathy for Duterte if they appear pitiful鈥 The Duterte camp will exploit this moment and further鈥 strengthen their support,鈥 Mr. Aguirre said.
鈥淭he Marcos government should handle everything by the book and in a calibrated manner,鈥 he added.
The Duterte camp will likely benefit from efforts to paint Mr. Duterte鈥檚 arrest by ICC as 鈥渕ere politicking,鈥 Mr. Aguirre said.
In a statement, Deputy Majority Leader and La Union Rep. Francisco Paolo P. Ortega V said allies of Mr. Duterte should stop politicizing the former firebrand leader鈥檚 ICC trial.
鈥淪top deceiving the people. This is not an election, not a propaganda war, and certainly not fake news. Do not turn a serious trial into a drama,鈥 he said.
The government鈥檚 decision to hand over Mr. Duterte to the ICC would spark further partisanship between the Marcos and Duterte camps, Anthony Lawrence A. Borja, an associate political science professor at the De La Salle University, said in a Facebook chat.
The development would make it harder for independent and opposition candidates to gain electoral traction as the midterm election approaches, he added
鈥淸It] would reinforce already existing tribal lines and put the liberal-progressive opposition in a tight space as the awkward third party in this polarized political arena,鈥 he said.
鈥淚t is now a challenge for them to鈥 make themselves distinct from both [the Dutertes and Marcoses],鈥 he added.
Opposition candidates should not side with the Marcoses just to pin the Duterte camp, Mr. Aguirre said. 鈥淭hey must learn how to distance themselves from the two warring dynasties.鈥
They should also shun personality politics and lean towards being more issue-based to raise the political discourse, he added.


