16 roads covered by number coding scheme; full implementation starts Aug. 18

THE 7-10 a.m. number coding scheme in the capital region, which restricts private vehicles from roads once a week based on the plate鈥s last number, will be on a test run for three days and full implementation starts Aug. 18, a Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) official said at the weekend.听听
鈥Number coding is not something new. We are just changing the window hours but then again, we will have a sort of a dry-run, Monday to Wednesday,鈥 Edison 鈥淏ong鈥 L. Nebrija, MMDA head for special operations, said in mixed English and Filipino in an interview with TV5鈥s One Weekend Balita on Saturday.听听听
This means no penalties will be imposed until Wednesday, but violators will be apprehended for information dissemination, he explained.听听听
Both physical and no-contact apprehension systems will be in effect for the full implementation of the vehicle reduction program.听听听
Mr. Nebrija said the coding scheme will cover 10 major roads and six circumferential roads, including Alabang Zapote road, E. Mabini Street, Marcos Highway, and MacArthur Highway in Valenzuela City.听听
MMDA said last week the reimplementation of the traffic reduction program in the morning is in line with the expected increase in vehicle volume with the resumption of classes on Aug. 22.听听听
The number coding scheme will also remain in effect from 5-8 p.m. on weekdays.听听听
The following are exempted: Public utility vehicles, transport network vehicle services, motorcycles, garbage trucks, fuel trucks, marked government vehicles, fire trucks, ambulances, marked media vehicles, and motor vehicles carrying essential and/or perishable goods. 鈥 MSJ听


