PHILIPPINE STAR/EDD GUMBAN

CUSTOMS Commissioner Ariel F. Nepomuceno said on Monday that he will order the livestreaming of the condemnation and destruction of seized goods to make these processes more transparent.

In a statement, he said the Bureau of Customs (BoC) is taking direction from President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr., who spelled out a 鈥渧ision to institutionalize reforms anchored on transparency and accountability.鈥

Mr. Nepomuceno said all BoC condemnation and destruction activities will be livestreamed and recorded 鈥渋n their entirety.鈥

According to a memorandum issued last week, representatives from the bureau鈥檚 intelligence and enforcement groups must be present during all such proceedings.

They will certify that the activity took place and validate the volume of goods destroyed and other details.

鈥淭hrough mandatory documentation and certification by authorized representatives, the initiative reinforces integrity at every stage of condemnation, promotes operational discipline within the BoC, and provides the public with verifiable assurance of a transparent and accountable process,鈥 BoC said. 鈥 Katherine K. Chan