Eurovision Song Contest gets off to a tense start, overshadowed by Gaza
VIENNA 鈥 The Eurovision Song Contest got off to a tense start in Vienna on Tuesday as Israel competed in the first semifinal amid a by five countries over the Gaza war.
The contest, traditionally a good-natured celebration of pop music and high camp now in its 70th year, has become mired in crisis over Israel鈥檚 military offensive in in response to the Hamas-led attack of Oct. 7, 2023.
The public broadcasters of five countries 鈥 Spain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Iceland, and Slovenia 鈥 are boycotting this year鈥檚 event, making it the smallest since 2003 with 35 entries. That will also most likely reduce viewership from last year鈥檚 166 million, more than the Super Bowl鈥檚 128 million.
鈥榃E WILL NOT BE TERRORIZED鈥
The tension in the city was palpable ahead of the semifinal, though inside the concert hall where it was held only cheers for Israel were audible during its performance. There were many Israeli flags in the crowd.
Israel鈥檚 was among the 10 entries that received enough points from national juries and a public vote on Tuesday to qualify for the final on Saturday, out of 15 competing.
鈥淲e won鈥檛 let ourselves be terrorized into silence,鈥 Vienna Mayor Michael Ludwig of the Social Democrats said on Friday in an angry response to a small group of pro-Palestinian protesters who blew whistles at a concert he was speaking at.
鈥淯nfortunately we will need large security measures because of people like you, for example. That will incur great expense, but we will nevertheless hold a festival of togetherness, I can promise you that,鈥 he said.
The joint head of Amnesty International Austria, Shoura Hashemi, said on X that Mr. Ludwig should apologize for his 鈥渦nbearable, false, divisive鈥 remarks aimed at peaceful protesters.
Austrian officialdom is strongly supportive of Israel, and pro-Palestinian protests are small. A handful of protests are planned this week, with attendance estimated at up to 3,000.
ATTENDANCE 鈥楿NCONSCIONABLE鈥
A pro-Palestinian protest on Tuesday afternoon initially expected to involve around 500 people fizzled out, only drawing about 30.
Irish broadcaster RTE referred back to its statement in December that it would be 鈥渦nconscionable鈥 to take part.
Israel often alleges a global smear campaign against it.
At least 1,200 people were killed in the Oct. 7 attack, most of them civilians. Israel responded by launching an assault on the enclave that killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and left much of Gaza in ruins.
Israel鈥檚 contestant last year, Yuval Raphael 鈥 a survivor of the attack 鈥 came second thanks to a .
Its contestant this year, Noam Bettan, has no obvious political connotation but did receive a formal warning on Saturday for posting videos instructing the public to vote for him 10 times, the maximum allowed.
Contest Director Martin Green told Reuters he hoped those boycotting would return.
鈥淭hey are members of our family, right? We miss them,鈥 he said, adding: 鈥淲e remain in dialogue to see if we can find pathways for them back.鈥 鈥 Reuters

