Oscar-winning Palestinian director injured in attack by Israeli settlers released after arrest

SUSIYA, WEST BANK 鈥 The Oscar-winning director of a documentary on the Israel-Palestinian was released from detention on Tuesday, a day after being injured and arrested during a raid by Israeli settlers on his village in the occupied West Bank.
Hamdan Ballal, co-director of the award-winning No Other Land, said he had been assaulted by settlers after filming them attacking a neighbor鈥檚 house and then returning to make sure his own house was not attacked.
鈥淚 was just waiting outside, if any settlers or any army were attacking my home,鈥 he told Reuters after being released from police custody.
He said he had been pushed to the ground, while soldiers yelled at him to stand up and pointed their guns at him. 鈥淚t鈥檚 crazy, you can imagine your family, your kids inside the home and you need to protect them,鈥 he said.
Shortly before the incident, in which he ended up being arrested by Israeli security forces, a group of settlers attacked a gathering for Iftar, the end of the daily Ramadan fast, at Susiya village near Hebron.
鈥淒ozens of settlers attacked the gathering at Iftar,鈥 Jihad Nawajaa, head of the Susiya local council, told Reuters by phone. 鈥淭he young men came out to prevent them, and there were about eight injuries on our side.鈥
Israeli police arrested three men, including Mr. Ballal, who was injured during the standoff.
鈥淭his is not the first time that the settlers attacked our gathering, but in the recent period the attacks have increased,鈥 Mr. Nawajaa said, adding that the settlers had stolen around 10 sheep from the village during the attack.
Monday鈥檚 incident was the latest in which Israeli settlers have been accused of raiding Palestinian or Bedouin villages and encampments in the West Bank, sometimes to . Palestinians and activists who monitor such attacks say the police and army typically stand by without intervening.
Lamia Ballal, the filmmaker鈥檚 wife, said settlers had gathered around the family house and her husband had gone outside to prevent them from breaking in.
鈥淭he settlers attacked him and started beating him, and then they arrested him,鈥 she told Reuters.
Anna Lippman, an American-Canadian from a group called the Center for Jewish Nonviolence, said her group had been attacked by settlers after arriving in the village around 15 minutes after the violence began.
鈥楾础搁骋贰罢贰顿鈥
The Israeli military said police and soldiers intervened after Palestinians threw rocks at the vehicles of Israeli citizens and later at Israeli security forces.
鈥淚n response, the forces apprehended three Palestinians suspected of hurling rocks at them, as well as an Israeli civilian involved in the violent confrontation,鈥 it said in a statement.
It denied reports that at least one of the Palestinians was arrested in an ambulance.
Asked for an update on Mr. Ballal鈥檚 condition and status on Tuesday, the Israeli police sent the statement first issued by the army the previous night.
No Other Land, a film about Israeli displacement of a Palestinian community, co-directed by Palestinian and Israeli directors, won the Oscar for best documentary at this year鈥檚 Academy Awards.
Mr. Ballal said one of the settlers who took part in the assault was well known to him.
鈥淭his is not the first time,鈥 he said. 鈥淗e has attacked my home many times and also has grazed his cows in the garden of my house.鈥
Basel Adra, one of the film鈥檚 other co-directors, said he believed the settlers had taken the army to the family house as revenge for the film鈥檚 depiction of the Masafer Yatta area near where Monday鈥檚 incident occurred.
鈥淏ecause he carries his camera and documents what is going on, I think he is targeted and he was avenged this way at night,鈥 he said.
European countries and the previous US administration of President Joseph R. Biden have imposed sanctions on violent Israeli settlers, but under President , the White House has removed them. 鈥 Reuters

