Elton John says he has lost his eyesight

LONDON 鈥 Music legend Elton John told a theater audience in London on Sunday he had lost his sight after struggling to recover from an eye infection earlier in the year.
The 77-year-old star 鈥 famous for 鈥淭iny Dancer,鈥 鈥淵our Song鈥 and a string of other hits 鈥 was in London鈥檚 West End for the opening of The Devil Wears Prada musical, for which he wrote the score.
In an emotional speech from the stage of the Dominion Theater at the end of the show, he said the performance had sounded good, but he had not been able to watch it.
鈥淎s some of you may know I have had issues and now I have lost my sight. I haven鈥檛 been able to see the performance but I have enjoyed it,鈥 Mr. John said. 鈥淚 love to hear it,鈥 he added, to rapturous applause.
He thanked his husband David Furnish for being his 鈥渞ock.鈥
Mr. John, who has sold more than 300 million records over a six-decade career, said in a documentary that premiered in September that his health made him worry about the future.
鈥淭his is the latter time of my life. I don鈥檛 know how much time I have left,鈥 he said in the documentary Elton John: Never Too Late.
He said that month in an Instagram post that he was feeling positive about how his eye was healing after an infection in July.
Two months later, he told ABC News he could not see out of his right eye and his left was 鈥渘ot the greatest,鈥 meaning he could no longer read or watch anything.
He said his condition was keeping him out of the studio where he had been working on a new album.
鈥淚t鈥檚 been a while since I鈥檝e done anything,鈥 he said. 鈥淭here鈥檚 hope and encouragement that it will be okay, but it鈥檚, I鈥檓 kind of stuck at the moment.鈥
Mr. John, who shot to fame in the early 1970s, went on a farewell tour from 2018 to 2023.
He and Mr. Furnish have two sons, Zachary, 13, and Elijah, 11.
鈥淚鈥檓 so lucky. I鈥檓 the luckiest man in the world,鈥 Mr. John told ABC News last month. 鈥 Reuters

