A 3D-printed oil pump jack and a map showing the Strait of Hormuz and Iran appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. 鈥 REUTERS

WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD 鈥 Iran鈥檚 top negotiator said recent talks with the US had made progress, but gaps remained over nuclear issues and the Strait of Hormuz, while President Donald J. Trump cited 鈥渧ery good conversations鈥 with Tehran despite warning against 鈥渂lackmail鈥 over the key shipping channel.

Neither side offered any specifics about the state of negotiations on Saturday, days before a fragile ceasefire in the US-Israeli war against Iran is set to expire.

The war, now in its eighth week, has killed thousands, spread to Israeli attacks in Lebanon and sent oil prices surging because of the de facto closure of the Strait, which before the war carried one-fifth of the world鈥檚 oil shipments.

IRAN鈥橲 REVERSAL ON VITAL STRAIT
鈥淲e have had progress but there is still a big distance between us,鈥 Iran鈥檚 chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, told state media, referring to talks last weekend. 鈥淭here are some issues on which we insist… They also have red lines. But these issues could be just one or two.鈥

Mr. Trump said the US was having 鈥渧ery good conversations鈥 but gave no other details.

Tehran reversed course on Saturday to reassert control over the Strait, again closing the energy chokepoint and adding fresh uncertainty to the war, which the US and Israel launched on Feb. 28.

Iran said it was responding to a continued US blockade of Iranian ports, calling it a violation of the ceasefire, while Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei said Iran鈥檚 navy was ready to inflict 鈥渘ew bitter defeats鈥 on its enemies. Mr. Trump called the move 鈥渂lackmail鈥 even as he praised the talks.

On Friday, Iran had announced the temporary reopening of the Strait of Hormuz following a separate US-brokered 10-day ceasefire agreement on Thursday between Israel and Lebanon.

Mr. Trump defended the US blockade and threatened 鈥渢o start dropping bombs again鈥 unless the countries reached a long-term deal before the ceasefire expires on Wednesday.

Iran鈥檚 Supreme National Security Council said Tehran鈥檚 control over the Strait included demanding the payment of costs related to security, safety and environmental protection services, state media said.

VESSELS REPORT GUNFIRE
Concern remained after at least two vessels reported being attacked on Saturday while trying to transit the waterway. India summoned the Iranian ambassador in New Delhi and expressed deep concern that two Indian-flagged ships had come under fire in the Strait, the government said.

US Central Command said American forces were enforcing a maritime blockade of Iran but did not comment on the latest Iranian actions.

Tehran鈥檚 reversal raised the risk that oil and gas shipments through the Strait could remain disrupted just as Mr. Trump weighs whether to extend the ceasefire.

When American and Iranian negotiators met last weekend in Islamabad, the US proposed a 20-year suspension of all Iranian nuclear activity, while Iran suggested a halt of three to five years, according to people familiar with the proposals.

Iran鈥檚 deputy foreign minister, Saeed Khatibzadeh, said no date had been set for the next round of negotiations, adding that a framework of understanding must be agreed first.

Mr. Trump had said on Friday there could be talks this weekend and that the two sides were 鈥渧ery close to making a deal.鈥

There were no signs on Saturday of preparations for new talks in the Pakistani capital, where the highest-level US-Iran negotiations since the 1979 Islamic Revolution ended without agreement last weekend.

Senior national security aides gathered at the White House on Saturday morning. Mr. Trump later went to the Trump National Golf Club with top envoy Steve Witkoff, one of his Iran negotiators.

Pressure for a way out of the war has mounted as Mr. Trump鈥檚 fellow Republicans defend narrow majorities in Congress in the November midterm elections with US gasoline prices high, inflation rising and his own approval ratings down.

Oil prices CLc1, LCOc1 fell about 10% and global stocks jumped on Friday on the prospect of marine traffic resuming through the Strait. But hundreds of vessels and about 20,000 seafarers remain stranded in the Gulf awaiting passage through the waterway, shipping sources said. 鈥 Reuters