REUTERS

HONG KONG 鈥 Hong Kong鈥檚 citizens were voting on Sunday in an election where the focus is on turnout, with residents grieving and traumatized after the city鈥檚 worst fire in nearly 80 years and the authorities scrambling to avoid a broader public backlash.

Security was tight in the northern district of Tai Po, close to the border with mainland China, where the fire engulfed seven towers. The city is holding elections for the Legislative Council, in which only candidates vetted as 鈥減atriots鈥 by the China-backed Hong Kong government may run.

Residents are angry over the blaze that killed at least 159 people and took nearly two days to extinguish after it broke out on Nov. 26. The authorities say substandard building materials used in renovating a high-rise housing estate were responsible for fueling the fire.

Eager to contain the public dismay, authorities have launched criminal and corruption investigations into the blaze, and roughly 100 police patrolled the area around Wang Fuk Court, the site of the fire, early on Sunday.

鈥楴OT A HEALTHY SYSTEM NOW鈥
A resident in his late 70s named Cheng, who lives near the charred buildings, said he would not vote.

鈥淚鈥檓 very upset by the great fire,鈥 he said during a morning walk. 鈥淭his is a result of a flawed government… There is not a healthy system now and I won鈥檛 vote to support those pro-establishment politicians who failed us.鈥

Mr. Cheng declined to give his full name, saying he feared authorities would target those who criticize the government.

At a memorial site near the burned-out residential development, a sign said authorities plan to clear the area after the election concludes close to midnight, suggesting government anxiety over public anger.

Beijing鈥檚 national security office in Hong Kong has said it would crack down on any 鈥渁nti-China鈥 protest in the wake of the fire and warned against using the disaster to 鈥渄isrupt Hong Kong.鈥

China鈥檚 national security office in Hong Kong warned senior editors with a number of foreign media outlets at a meeting in the city on Saturday not to spread 鈥渇alse information鈥 or 鈥渟mear鈥 government efforts to deal with the fire.

The blaze is a major test of Beijing鈥檚 grip on the former British colony, which it has transformed under a national security law after mass pro-democracy protests in 2019.

An election overhaul in 2021 also mandated that only pro-Beijing 鈥減atriots鈥 could run for the global financial hub鈥檚 90-seat legislature and, analysts say, further reduced the space for meaningful democratic participation.

鈥楢BSOLUTELY NEED ALL VOTERS TO COME OUT鈥
Publicly inciting a vote boycott was criminalized as part of the sweeping changes that effectively squeezed out pro-democracy voices in Hong Kong. Pro-democracy voters, who traditionally made up about 60% of Hong Kong鈥檚 electorate, have since shunned elections.

The number of registered voters for Sunday鈥檚 polls 鈥 4.13 million 鈥 has dropped for the fourth consecutive year since 2021, when a peak of 4.47 million people were registered.

Seven people had been arrested as of Thursday for inciting others not to vote, the city鈥檚 anti-corruption body said.

Hong Kong and Chinese officials have stepped up calls for people to vote.

鈥淲e absolutely need all voters to come out and vote today, because every vote represents our push for reform, our protection of the victims of (fire) disaster, and a representation of our will to unite and move forward together,鈥 Hong Kong leader John Lee said after casting his vote.

Hong Kong鈥檚 national security office urged residents on Thursday to 鈥渁ctively participate in voting,鈥 saying it was critical in supporting reconstruction efforts by the government after the fire.

鈥淓very voter is a stakeholder in the homeland of Hong Kong,鈥 the office said in a statement. 鈥淚f you truly love Hong Kong, you will vote sincerely.鈥

The last Legislative Council elections in 2021 recorded the lowest voter turnout 鈥 30.2% 鈥 since Britain returned Hong Kong to Chinese rule in 1997. 鈥 Reuters