STOCK PHOTO | Images by

BANGKOK 鈥 Thailand鈥檚 government confirmed on Tuesday it will halt the implementation of an enhanced ceasefire agreement with Cambodia, signed last month in the presence of US President Donald J. Trump and said it would explain its decision to Washington.

Bangkok will also put on hold the return of 18 Cambodian prisoners of war currently held by the Thai military, Defense Minister Natthaphon Narkphanit told reporters. He declined to answer a question on whether troops would be redeployed.

Tensions between the two Southeast Asian neighbors, who clashed for five days in July, have escalated following a landmine blast on Monday that injured four Thai soldiers.

Thailand鈥檚 military has accused Cambodia of laying new landmines after the two countries agreed on the enhanced ceasefire steps, which included the withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons as well as Bangkok鈥檚 release of the Cambodian detainees.

In a statement on Tuesday, Cambodia鈥檚 defense ministry denied that it had laid new landmines and urged Thailand to avoid patrols in old minefield areas. It said it was committed to working with Bangkok in line with the October deal.

The enhanced ceasefire, signed during a regional summit in Malaysia, sought to build on a truce brokered in July by Mr. Trump, who called the then-leaders of the two countries urging them to end hostilities or face halts to their respective trade talks with Washington.

Both sides blame each other for starting the exchange of rockets and heavy artillery, which killed at least 48 people and temporarily displaced an estimated 300,000 during their worst fighting in recent history.

Thailand鈥檚 Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow said his country鈥檚 decision would be explained to the United States and to Malaysia, the chair of the regional bloc the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, which has facilitated the ceasefire process.

鈥淲hat they (Cambodia) have said is not sufficient. We have to see what Cambodia鈥檚 stance is from now on,鈥 he said. 鈥 Reuters