US stops visitor visas for people from Gaza

WASHINGTON 鈥 The US State department on Saturday said it was halting all visitor visas for individuals from Gaza while it conducts 鈥渁 full and thorough鈥 review, a move that has been condemned by pro-Palestine groups.
The department said 鈥渁 small number鈥 of temporary medical-humanitarian visas had been issued in recent days but did not provide a figure.
The US issued more than 3,800 B1/B2 visitor visas, which permit foreigners to seek medical treatment in the United States, to holders of the Palestinian Authority (PA) travel document so far in 2025, according to an analysis of monthly figures provided on the department鈥檚 website. That figure includes 640 visas issued in May.
The PA issues such travel documents to residents of the Israeli-occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The department鈥檚 website did not include a breakdown for the two territories.
The State department鈥檚 move to stop visitor visas for people from Gaza comes after Laura Loomer, a far-right activist and an ally of President Donald J. Trump, said on social media on Friday that the Palestinian 鈥渞efugees鈥 had entered the US this month.
Ms. Loomer鈥檚 statement sparked outrage among some Republicans, with US Representative Chip Roy, of Texas, saying he would inquire about the matter and Representative Randy Fine, of Florida, describing it as a 鈥渘ational security risk.鈥
The Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned the move, saying it was the latest sign of the 鈥渋ntentional cruelty鈥 of the Trump administration.
The Palestine Children鈥檚 Relief Fund said the decision to halt visas would deny access to medical care to wounded and sick children in Gaza.
鈥淭his policy will have a devastating and irreversible impact on our ability to bring injured and critically ill children from Gaza to the United States for lifesaving medical treatment 鈥 a mission that has defined our work for more than 30 years,鈥 it said in a statement.
Gaza has been devastated by a war that was triggered on Oct. 7, 2023, when Palestinian militant group Hamas launched an attack on Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli figures.
Israel鈥檚 offensive against Hamas in Gaza since then has killed more than 61,000 Palestinians, according to local health officials.
The US has not indicated that it would accept Palestinians displaced by the war. However, sources told Reuters that South Sudan and Israel are discussing a plan to resettle Palestinians. 鈥 Reuters


