Some US officials say in internal memo Israel may be violating international law in Gaza

WASHINGTON 鈥 Some senior US officials have advised Secretary of State Antony Blinken that they do not find 鈥渃redible or reliable鈥 Israel鈥檚 assurances that it is using US-supplied weapons in accordance with international humanitarian law, according to an internal State Department memo reviewed by Reuters.
Other officials upheld support for Israel鈥檚 representation.
Under a National Security Memorandum (NSM) issued by President Joseph R. Biden in February, Mr. Blinken must report to Congress by May 8 whether he finds credible Israel鈥檚 assurances that its use of US weapons does not violate US or international law.
By March 24, at least seven State Department bureaus had sent in their contributions to an initial 鈥渙ptions memo鈥 to Mr. Blinken. Parts of the memo, which had not been previously reported, were classified.
The submissions to the memo provide the most extensive picture to date of the divisions inside the State Department over whether Israel might be violating international humanitarian law in Gaza.
鈥淪ome components in the department favored accepting Israel鈥檚 assurances, some favored rejecting them and some took no position,鈥 a US official said.
A joint submission from four bureaus 鈥 Democracy Human Rights & Labor; Population, Refugees and Migration; Global Criminal Justice and International Organization Affairs 鈥 raised 鈥渟erious concern over non-compliance鈥 with international humanitarian law during Israel鈥檚 prosecution of the Gaza war.
The assessment from the four bureaus said Israel鈥檚 assurances were 鈥渘either credible nor reliable.鈥 It cited eight examples of Israeli military actions that the officials said raise 鈥渟erious questions鈥 about potential violations of international humanitarian law.
These included repeatedly striking protected sites and civilian infrastructure; 鈥渦nconscionably high levels of civilian harm to military advantage鈥; taking little action to investigate violations or to hold to account those responsible for significant civilian harm and 鈥渒illing humanitarian workers and journalists at an unprecedented rate.鈥
The assessment from the four bureaus also cited 11 instances of Israeli military actions the officials said 鈥渁rbitrarily restrict humanitarian aid,鈥 including rejecting entire trucks of aid due to a single 鈥渄ual-use鈥 item, 鈥渁rtificial鈥 limitations on inspections as well as repeated attacks on humanitarian sites that should not be hit.
Another submission to the memo reviewed by Reuters, from the bureau of Political and Military Affairs, which deals with US military assistance and arms transfers, warned Mr. Blinken that suspending US weapons would limit Israel鈥檚 ability to meet potential threats outside its airspace and require Washington to re-evaluate 鈥渁ll ongoing and future sales to other countries in the region.鈥
Any suspension of US arms sales would invite 鈥減rovocations鈥 by Iran and aligned militias, the bureau said in its submission, illustrating the push-and-pull inside the department as it prepares to report to Congress.
The submission did not directly address Israel鈥檚 assurances.
Inputs to the memo from the Office of the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Antisemitism and US ambassador to Israel Jack Lew said they assessed Israel鈥檚 assurances as credible and reliable, a second US official told Reuters.
The State Department鈥檚 legal bureau, known as the Office of the Legal Adviser, 鈥渄id not take a substantive position鈥 on the credibility of Israel鈥檚 assurances, a source familiar with the matter said.
State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said the agency doesn鈥檛 comment on leaked documents.
鈥淥n complex issues, the Secretary often hears a diverse range of views from within the Department, and he takes all of those views into consideration,鈥 Miller said.
MAY 8 REPORT TO CONGRESS
When asked about the memo, an Israeli official said: 鈥淚srael is fully committed to its commitments and their implementation, among them the assurances given to the US government.鈥
The White House did not respond to a request for comment.
Biden administration officials repeatedly have said they have not found Israel in violation of international law.
Mr. Blinken has seen all of the bureau assessments about Israel鈥檚 pledges, the second US official said.
Matthew Miller on March 25 said the department received the pledges. However, the State Department is not expected to render its complete assessment of credibility until the May 8 report to Congress.
Further deliberations between the department鈥檚 bureaus are underway ahead of the report鈥檚 deadline, the US official said.
USAID also provided input to the memo. 鈥淭he killing of nearly 32,000 people, of which the GOI (Government of Israel) itself assesses roughly two-thirds are civilian, may well amount to a violation of the international humanitarian law requirement,鈥 USAID officials wrote in the submission.
USAID does not comment on leaked documents, a USAID spokesperson said.
The warnings about Israel鈥檚 possible breaches of international humanitarian law made by some senior State Department officials come as Israel is vowing to launch a military offensive into Rafah, the southern-most pocket of the Gaza Strip that is home to over a million people displaced by the war, despite repeated warnings from Washington not to do so.
Israel鈥檚 military conduct has come under increasing scrutiny as its forces have killed 34,000 Palestinians in Gaza, according to the enclave鈥檚 health authorities, most of them women and children.
Israel鈥檚 assault was launched in response to the Hamas attack on Israel on Oct. 7, in which Israel says 1,200 people were killed and 250 others taken hostage.
The National Security Memorandum was issued in early February after Democratic lawmakers began questioning whether Israel was abiding by international law.
The memorandum imposed no new legal requirements but asked the State Department to demand written assurances from countries receiving US-funded weapons that they are not violating international humanitarian law or blocking US humanitarian assistance.
It also required the administration to submit an annual report to Congress to assess whether countries are adhering to international law and not impeding the flow of humanitarian aid.
If Israel鈥檚 assurances are called into question, Mr. Biden would have the option to 鈥渞emediate鈥 the situation through actions ranging from seeking fresh assurances to suspending further US weapons transfers, according to the memorandum.
Mr. Biden can suspend or put conditions on US weapons transfers at any time.
He has so far resisted calls from rights groups, left-leaning Democrats and Arab American groups to do so.
But earlier this month he threatened for the first time to put conditions on the transfer of US weapons to Israel, if it does not take concrete steps to improve the dire humanitarian situation in Gaza. 鈥 Reuters


