REUTERS

SYDNEY听鈥斕齌he leader of Australia鈥檚 New South Wales (NSW) state on Wednesday ordered a week-long extension of Sydney鈥檚听coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)听lockdown, warning new cases are bound to rise as the country鈥檚 biggest city grapples with the highly infectious Delta variant.

Sydney, home to a fifth of Australia鈥檚 25 million people, was plunged into lockdown on June 26 as a Delta variant outbreak persuaded officials to tighten restrictions in a country that has been slow to vaccinate. Strict stay-at-home orders were due to end on Friday, but now remain in place until July 16.

鈥淭his Delta strain is a game-changer, it is extremely transmissible and more contagious than any other form of the virus that we鈥檝e seen,鈥澨齆SW state Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.

With Sydney fighting its worst outbreak of the year so far, total infections have topped 350 since the first case was detected three weeks ago in a limousine driver who transported overseas airline crew.

A total of 27 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 were reported on Wednesday in NSW, up from 18 a day earlier. Of the new cases, 20 were either in isolation throughout or for part of their infectious period, while seven cases spent time in the community while they were infectious.

Lockdowns, swift contact tracing and a high community compliance with social distancing rules have helped Australia suppress past outbreaks and keep its COVID-19 numbers relatively low, with just over 30,800 cases and 910 deaths. The current lockdown is Sydney鈥檚 second since the pandemic began.

Health officials warned Sydney residents they expect cases to rise in the next 24 hours and urged residents in three western suburbs听听Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown and Liverpool听听to stay home.

Liverpool Deputy Mayor Mazhar Hadid said there was听鈥渘o choice鈥澨齜ut to lock down the听neighborhood.

鈥淚 know it鈥檚 affecting small businesses in Liverpool, it鈥檚 like they鈥檝e lost their city, but we need to do the right thing,鈥澨齢e told Reuters.

Schools in Sydney will move to remote learning next week when they return from the winter break.

FRUSTRATED RESIDENTS
With less than 10% of Australians fully vaccinated and rolling restrictions ordered in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth as well as Sydney, lockdowns are starting to wear on residents watching other parts of the world open up.

As crowds gather at Wimbledon to watch the tennis championships, sporting events including the Australian F1 Grand Prix have been cancelled.

鈥淟et鈥檚 lock down the people that are vulnerable, you don鈥檛 lock down healthy people because a few are sick. It鈥檚 just not making sense and your numbers don鈥檛 justify it,鈥澨齋ydney resident Paul Coleman told Reuters at Bondi, near the听epicenter听of the latest outbreak.

Australia鈥檚 vaccination drive has fallen well behind initial schedules after age restrictions were placed on AstraZeneca鈥檚 COVID-19 vaccine, the backbone of the country鈥檚听program, due to the small risk of blood clots.

Canberra has since scrambled to secure additional supplies of Pfizer鈥檚 vaccine, although large quantities are not due to arrive until late in the year.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg told reporters that听鈥渃hallenges have been forced upon us鈥澨齣n the inoculation听program听but the pace was picking up.听鈥斕Renju Jose and Byron Kaye/Reuters