PHL secures $1.5-B investment deals

By Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza, Reporter
AUSTRALIAN COMPANIES on Monday pledged $1.5 billion (around P86 billion) worth of investments to the Philippines, as President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. sought to boost economic and security ties with Australia in the face of an increasingly aggressive China.
The Presidential Palace said in a statement that the signed deals consist of 10 memoranda of understanding (MoU) and two letters of intent from Australian business leaders who plan to invest in the Philippines.
The Philippines is an ideal destination for partnerships in manufacturing and services, Mr. Marcos told the Philippine Business Forum in Melbourne on Monday.
He also urged Australian businessmen to consider investments that would help facilitate the Philippines鈥 energy transition.
Among the deals signed was an MoU among Kaisan PTY Limited, the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) and Poro Point Management Corp. for the development, construction and funding of a data center within the Poro Point Freeport Zone.
The BCDA also signed an MoU with StB Giga-Factory, Inc. for the expansion of next-generation battery manufacturing and export operations in New Clark City. It also inked MoUs with Energy Decarb PTY Limited for the deployment of 鈥渄ecarbonization solutions鈥 to new Clark City Stadium, and with Passenger Urban and Rapid Electric Vehicles Solutions, Inc. for the development of electric transportation frameworks.
The Palace said Kaisan Pty Ltd also signed a memo with the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development for the latter鈥檚 housing projects.
Paco Industries PTY Ltd, FP Paradigm Pty Ltd and Pristine Sustainable Plastics Philippines, Inc. signed a deal with the University of New South Wales on plastic recycling.
An MoU was signed between Integrated Micro Electronics, Inc. and RRR Manufacturing Pty Ltd for the manufacture of portable automated external defibrillator solutions branded as CellAED.
The National Development Company (NDC) in the Philippines and Cyclion Holdings Pty Ltd also signed a deal for the transfer of the latter鈥檚 waste-to-energy technology that converts biowaste to green fuel.
The Palace said Philippine-based companies ACEN Corp. and Ayala Corp. signed an MoU with Marubeni Australia for the development of a 200- to 400-megawatt battery energy storage system in New South Wales and with Zen Energy for a solar project in Australia.
Southern Infrastructure Pty Ltd has also signified strong interest in the development of a biomass fuel power plant with a 40-megawatt base load in the Philippines, Malaca帽ang said.
Medgate (Asia) Holdings Pty Ltd also expressed interest in the development of artificial intelligence-driven digital health services in the Philippines 鈥渨ith a particular focus on tuberculosis and other respiratory illnesses.鈥
鈥淚t鈥檚 hard to indicate the debit side of all these agreements,鈥 Leonardo A. Lanzona, who teaches economics at the Ateneo de Manila University, said in a Facebook Messenger chat. 鈥淪urely, these negotiations had been underway even before the trip was done.鈥
Mr. Lanzona said the investment pledges might have no effect on the pressing short-term issues of inflation and hunger.
鈥淭heir immediate effects on the daily needs of the poor remain questionable,鈥 he said. 鈥淥n the whole, these still do not justify the billions of travel expenses incurred by the country for these types of trips which can be handled online.鈥
Public investment analyst Terry L. Ridon said he is hoping these pledges will translate into actual foreign direct investments 鈥渋n the soonest time.鈥
鈥淭he challenge to government in each and every foreign trip has always been to ensure that MoUs and letters of intent will ripen into more definitive agreements within a realistic investment timeframe,鈥 he said in a Facebook Messenger chat.
Mr. Marcos was in Melbourne for a three-day special summit between Australia and Southeast Asian nations.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Australia and New Zealand signed a free trade agreement (FTA) in Thailand in 2009.
Canberra and Manila are among the members of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) agreement, which is dubbed as the world鈥檚 largest FTA.
Also on Monday, Mr. Marcos led the launch for the expansion of Victoria International Container Terminal (VICT), a unit of Razon-led International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI).
鈥淰ICT is a Philippine success story, and I hope it will only be the beginning,鈥 he said.
VICT, which started operations in 2017, is ICTSI鈥檚 first entry point into Australia. ICTSI is now one of the world鈥檚 largest independent terminal operators with 33 terminals in 19 countries.
The Philippines and Australia last year turned their partnership into a strategic one, as they confront authoritarian threats in the Indo-Pacific region.
Mr. Marcos said the strategic partnership would pave the way for more economic deals between the two countries.
In his address to the Australian Parliament last week, he vowed to work with Australia to keep the region stable and free, saying his country has been on the frontline of a battle for regional peace.
Mr. Marcos has veered away from his predecessor鈥檚 pivot to China, boosting Manila鈥檚 ties with the US and its Indo-Pacific allies such as Japan and Australia.
It seems the two countries have learned that reducing economic dependence on China means finding alternatives with like-minded partners, said Joshua Bernard B. Espe帽a, vice-president at Manila-based International Development and Security Cooperation.
鈥淚t also compels Washington to support these initiatives to strengthen the alliance network on economic grounds.鈥
The government of Prime Minister Anthony Norman Albanese, a Labor politician, has been dealing with a protracted trade war with China, which in 2020 began blocking the import of almost a dozen Australian goods, including wine, which accounts for $45.5 billion of the Australian economy.
The Philippines has been standing up to China鈥檚 intrusions in its waters in the South China Sea, and a Chinese envoy last month said the two countries鈥 relations now stand at a crossroad.
鈥淭he Marcos government, however, must ensure that these investments would translate into policy realities or else lose the optics needed to strengthen geoeconomic resolve in confronting China,鈥 Mr. Espe帽a said.
MAHARLIKA FUND
Meanwhile, Finance chief Ralph G. Recto invited Australian investors to look at potential opportunities with the Maharlika Investment Fund (MIF).
鈥淎ustralian investors seeking to broaden their portfolios into rapidly expanding markets such as the Philippines should explore potential ventures within the Fund,鈥 he said in a speech at the Philippine Business Forum.
鈥淚t provides an opportunity for private-sector engagement in financing our big-ticket infrastructure projects,鈥 he added.
The Maharlika Investment Corp. (MIC) is set to announce its first commitment in the next two to three months, which would likely be an energy-related project.
Its priority sectors include energy, physical and digital infrastructure, food security, aviation and aerospace, mineral processing, transportation and tourism.
Mr. Recto also invited Australian investors to explore investments in recently liberalized sectors such as telecommunications, transportation, banking, mining and energy.
鈥淚n addition, we are currently refining the country鈥檚 fiscal incentives system to further tailor-fit incentives and attract international enterprises to invest in strategically important projects,鈥 he added.
The Finance chief also noted the Philippines鈥 young population and potential to become 鈥渄emographic partners鈥 with Australia.
鈥淥ur young, tech-savvy, English-speaking workforce complements Australia鈥檚 forward-thinking businesses and highly skilled labor force. This sweet spot provides an opportunity for the Philippines and Australia to become demographic partners,鈥 he added.
He also cited growth prospects of the country, which is the fastest-growing economy in the region. 鈥 with Luisa Maria Jacinta C. Jocson


