Former Usec. Maria Catalina E. Cabral during a celebration of International Women鈥檚 Day on March 8, 2023. 鈥擠EPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND HIGHWAYS FACEBOOK PAGE

LATE Public Works Undersecretary Maria Catalina E. Cabral was not informed of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure鈥檚 (ICI) final hearing last year, her lawyer said, denying claims the official deliberately skipped the session.

鈥淐ontrary to news reports鈥 Ms. Cabral was not informed of today鈥檚 hearing. She did not receive any communication, let alone the purported subpoena,鈥 a letter, dated Dec. 15, 2025 from Co & Divinagracia Law Offices, read. It was addressed to ICI Chairman Andres B. Reyes, Jr.

The letter shared by the ICI to the media also stressed Ms. Cabral鈥檚 willingness to cooperate with the commission.

鈥淢s. Cabral has no intention whatsoever of avoiding inquiry鈥 she remains committed to cooperating with this Honorable Commission in ferreting out the truth on the alleged flood control project anomalies,鈥 her lawyer wrote.

In response, ICI Executive Director Brian Keith F. Hosaka confirmed that a subpoena was issued to Ms. Cabral on Dec. 9, last year, and was routed through the Department of Public Works and Highways as standard procedure for current and former officials.

鈥淲e also announced in a press conference last Dec. 11, 2025 that Usec. Cabral was asked to appear before the commission on Dec. 15, 2025,鈥 Mr. Hosaka told reporters over Viber.

Mr. Hosaka said Ms. Cabral would have been invited to any subsequent hearings, particularly given her willingness to appear, as noted in her lawyer鈥檚 letter.

He added that unforeseen events disrupted the commission鈥檚 schedule, including the resignation of two commissioners and Ms. Cabral鈥檚 passing. 鈥 Erika Mae P. Sinaking