Workers are seen in a construction site in Manila. 鈥 PHILIPPINE STAR/RUSSELL PALMA

THE SENATE and House of Representatives canceled Monday鈥檚 scheduled bicameral conference committee meeting after lawmakers deadlocked over whether to restore funding for the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in the proposed P6.793-trillion national budget for 2026, amid lingering concerns over corruption in flood control projects.

Senator Sherwin T. Gatchalian, chairman of the Senate Finance committee, described the issue as 鈥渄eadlocked鈥 but said the chamber remains open to compromise.

鈥淭he House had a different opinion. We had a different opinion,鈥 he told reporters, adding that the Senate is reviewing DPWH Secretary Vivencio B. Dizon鈥檚 appeal to reverse a P45-billion cut in the agency鈥檚 proposed budget. 鈥淭his is a very technical issue, and it will take time to talk with DPWH.鈥

Nueva Ecija Rep. Mikaela Angela B. Suansing, who heads the House Appropriations Committee, said no new bicameral meeting had been scheduled, urging lawmakers to act quickly to avoid a reenacted budget for 2026.

She warned that roughly 9,900 infrastructure projects totaling P406 billion could be affected if the cut is retained. 鈥淚f we assume that 25% of these projects will become unimplementable, that鈥檚 already P101 billion wasted,鈥 she said.

The dispute centers on DPWH鈥檚 allocation in next year鈥檚 spending plan. The Senate trimmed the agency鈥檚 budget to P570.8 billion, roughly 8.6% lower than the House鈥檚 P624.48 billion, citing concerns over overpriced materials and procurement irregularities.

Earlier, both chambers reduced P255 billion earmarked for flood control projects from the Executive鈥檚 proposed P880 billion infrastructure program, following allegations of anomalies in project implementation.

Senators have indicated they are firm on maintaining cuts linked to overpriced construction materials. 鈥淭he Senate is very firm that it doesn鈥檛 want overpriced materials,鈥 Mr. Gatchalian said, citing the need for transparency and fiscal accountability.

Meanwhile, the Marcos administration signaled support for restoring the funds. Palace Press Officer Clarissa A. Castro said President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. is aware of Mr. Dizon鈥檚 appeal and stressed the importance of DPWH spending in driving economic growth.

鈥淪o, the wish is for [the Senate cut] not to be granted. Nearly 10,000 projects will not be implemented if the budget requested by DPWH is further cut,鈥 she separately told a news briefing.

Mr. Dizon said the P45-billion restoration would not fund flood control projects implicated in corruption but would support roads, bridges and other infrastructure critical to accelerating economic activity.

鈥淚n the past quarter, the economy only grew by 4%,鈥 he said during a Sunday briefing with the bicameral panel. 鈥淭his is largely because of the cut in public expenditure, especially in infrastructure.鈥

The deadlock comes as Congress races to reconcile its budget differences before the Dec. 22 deadline, which is crucial to prevent a reenacted 2025 spending plan.

Both chambers have emphasized that technical deliberations are still ongoing, with Ms. Suansing noting that 鈥渆very single day is crucial for our technical teams to be able to finish the bill.鈥

The P6.793-trillion national budget, the largest in Philippine history, reflects the administration鈥檚 focus on infrastructure as a key pillar of its economic strategy, balancing fiscal prudence with the need to sustain development projects.

Both chambers have stressed the need to ensure transparency, proper cost control and accountability in project execution. The outcome of these deliberations will determine whether almost 10,000 projects 鈥 including bridges, highways and flood mitigation works 鈥 can proceed without delay.

The bicameral conference committee is expected to complete deliberations in the coming days, with President Marcos aiming to sign the final spending plan by Dec. 29. 鈥 Kenneth Christiane L. Basilio and Chloe Mari A. Hufana