PUBLIC WORKS Secretary Vivencio 鈥淰ince鈥 B. Dizon responded to senators鈥 queries during the Senate Blue Ribbon inquiry into the agency鈥檚 alleged anomalous flood control projects on Thursday, Sept. 18. 鈥 SENATE PRIB

By Adrian H. Halili, Reporter

THE DEPARTMENT of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said it is coordinating with other agencies to probe real estate properties and high-value vehicles of contractors and DPWH personnel involved in anomalous flood control projects for a potential freeze order.

Public Works and Highways Secretary Vivencio 鈥淰ince鈥 B. Dizon said that the agency had written to the Land Registration Authority (LRA), Land Transportation Office (LTO), Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), and Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) to provide registered land properties, vehicles, water vessels, and aircraft of the 26 contractors and DPWH personnel involved in the flood control scam.

鈥淲e also need to know this and eventually freeze these assets because we need to be sure that we can recover all that we can recover from those who stole the country鈥檚 funds,鈥 he told reporters on the sidelines of a Senate Blue Ribbon hearing on Thursday.

Last week, the Public Works department filed complaints against 20 DPWH officials and six contractors connected with anomalous flood control projects.

The Court of Appeals had also approved a freeze order on the bank accounts and insurance policies of those involved.

Mr. Dizon added that the list of all assets of the individuals involved will be released 鈥渋n the next few days.鈥

鈥淲e will also submit this to the authorities, including the AMLC (Anti-Money Laundering Council of the Philippines) and other law enforcement agencies such as the Department of Justice and the Office of the Ombudsman,鈥 the Public Works chief said.

He added that the report will also be submitted to the newly formed Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI). Created under Executive Order No. 94, President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. granted the independent body authority to recommend civil, criminal, and administrative charges in infrastructure-related anomalies.

In the same hearing, Mr. Dizon said that that agency is looking to claim the warranties of ghost or substandard flood projects.

鈥淭he government cannot shell out money again, it needs to recover those warranties,鈥 he told senators. 鈥淭he money needs to be returned as these projects need to be fixed.鈥

MORE THAN 100 GHOST PROJECTS
Mr. Dizon added that the agency is set to publish the initial list of ghost and substandard flood control projects in the next two weeks.

鈥淢aybe just give us a few weeks, even a week or two. We want to create a transparency portal similar to what our President did,鈥 Mr. Dizon told senators during a Blue Ribbon Committee hearing.

He added that the agency鈥檚 initial list will also include the DPWH personnel involved in ghost and substandard flood control projects.

He said that based on their initial probe, there were more than 100 ghost and substandard projects found across the country.

Asked by Senator Paolo Benigno 鈥淏am鈥 A. Aquino IV if losses from anomalous flood control projects could reach 鈥渢ens of billions or possibly hundreds of billions,鈥 Mr. Dizon answered in the affirmative.

鈥淭here is a possibility,鈥 the Public Works chief said.

Also on Thursday, the Commission on Audit (CoA) filed additional audit reports to the Ombudsman over alleged anomalous projects in Bulacan.

The CoA report found four alleged ghost flood control projects amounting to about P381.9 million.

Since 2022, about P544 billion in public funds have been allocated for flood control nationwide, with about P100 billion cornered by the top 15 contractors named by Mr. Marcos.

CONTEMPT ORDER
The Blue Ribbon Committee had cited in contempt contractor Pacifico 鈥淐urlee鈥 F. Discaya II for allegedly lying to senators about the reason for his wife鈥檚 absence.

Senator Panfilo 鈥淧ing鈥 M. Lacson, the new head of the Blue Ribbon Committee, approved a motion raised by Senator Rafael T. Tulfo to cite Mr. Discaya in contempt after he told the committee that his wife and business partner Cezarah Rowena 鈥淪arah鈥 Discaya skipped the hearing due to a 鈥渉eart condition.鈥

However, Ms. Discaya said that there was a pre-scheduled meeting with her employees, according to a letter sent to the senator.

The committee had also issued a show cause order to Ms. Discaya to explain her absence.

Ex-DPWH engineer Henry C. Alcantara was also cited in contempt for denying that he had any knowledge of ghost projects in Bulacan.

Senator Erwin T. Tulfo said that his explanation was 鈥渦nacceptable鈥 and raised a motion to cite in contempt, it was approved by Mr. Lacson after no further objections.

Mr. Discaya and Mr. Alcantara will be held on the Senate premises.