QUEZON CITY MAYOR MA. JOSEFINA G. BELMONTE 鈥 PHILSTAR FILE PHOTO

by Almira Louise S. Martinez, Reporter

The Quezon City (QC) government said that 254 flood control projects implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) did not acquire a Certificate of Coordination (COC) from the mayor鈥檚 office before construction.

鈥淭hey need to coordinate and present every project to us so we can work with them to improve it, and that COC is equivalent to a building permit,鈥 QC Mayor Josefina 鈥淛oy鈥 G. Belmonte told 大象传媒 in an interview on Thursday.

Although the city鈥檚 ordinance has worked well with vertical projects, flood control projects have not applied for COC and were not coordinated. 鈥淭hat鈥檚 why I do not know about the flood control projects,鈥 said Ms. Belmonte.

鈥淎s a mayor, I always think we have a law and they will respect it because they are part of the government, but they did not follow it when it comes to flood control,鈥 she added.

In 2022, the QC government implemented an ordinance that requires every government-funded project to coordinate with the city鈥檚 infrastructure committee prior to construction.

鈥淚t鈥檚 important that if there鈥檚 a project from the national government in our city, it aligns with the city鈥檚 plans,鈥 Ms. Belmonte said. 鈥淚f we鈥檙e not aware of the projects, there鈥檚 the threat of wasting public funds, duplication or overlapping, and it may also be inconsistent with the city鈥檚 plans.鈥

The city鈥檚 mayor noted that the Matalahib Creek pumping station, built over a creek, was among the projects that violated the city鈥檚 ordinance and Water Code.

鈥淲e wrote letters to them to halt the project and discuss first if it鈥檚 right to continue, but they did not stop and continued it,鈥 she said. 鈥淣ow it caused much more flooding to its surrounding barangays.鈥

鈥淚f there were more coordination with us鈥 We could鈥檝e worked together to come up with a better flood control solution,鈥 she added.

The P350-million Matalahib Creek pumping station project in Barangay Talayan is being petitioned by the QC government to be terminated immediately.

鈥淚鈥檓 pushing to terminate it since it鈥檚 still in phase one, and they are blocking the creek,鈥 the city鈥檚 mayor said. 鈥淒emolish what was built on the creek, and the remaining P250 million let us implement a different intervention for flood control.鈥

 

Outdated flood control projects

The flood control projects by the DPWH are undersized and outdated, according to an urban planner and veteran architect, Felino A. Palafox, Jr.

鈥淚t鈥檚 outdated. 75% are undersized,鈥 Mr. Palafox told reporters on Wednesday. 鈥淏ecause it鈥檚 25-year return, the 100-year typhoons are now happening every year.鈥

鈥淭hey are not designed for a 100-year return of flooding in typhoons,鈥 he added.

The veteran architect said that the government must review its existing flood control design to improve efficiency. 鈥淭hey need to revisit the solutions established in the mid-70s and continuously upgrade them.鈥

Mr. Palafox noted that he also gave 150 recommendations to President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to help improve the flood control and urban planning in Metro Manila, but they were ignored.

鈥淔rom Marcos Sr. to Digong, I was invited to Malaca帽ang. This one, never,鈥 he said. 鈥淚 even write to him every week and texted him one time, 鈥楥orruption is worse now because there鈥檚 no more factor of fear鈥.鈥

Mr. Marcos stated in a press release earlier this month that flood control projects nationwide have cost P545 billion in public funds since July 2022. Of these projects, around 20% or P100 billion, went to only 15 contractors.

鈥淥ut of those 15 contractors, five have contracts covering the entire Philippines,鈥 he said in Filipino.