
AS CONGRESS opens deliberations on the proposed 2026 national budget, President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. said he is ready to veto any spending bill misaligned with the administration鈥檚 priorities as he described deep cuts to foreign-assisted projects as the 鈥渂iggest problem鈥 in last year鈥檚 spending plan.
鈥淭he biggest problem was the foreign-assisted projects 鈥 almost all of the funding was removed,鈥 Mr. Marcos said in a video blog in Filipino posted on his social media accounts, referring to the 2025 national budget.
He emphasized the importance of restoring those allocations, citing their role in national development and the Philippines鈥 credibility with international partners.
鈥淲e need to bring that back. These projects are critical, and cutting them damages our international reputation,鈥 he added.
While acknowledging that lawmakers have the constitutional authority to scrutinize and amend the National Expenditure Program (NEP), Mr. Marcos reiterated that the final budget must reflect the government鈥檚 objectives.
Senate President Francis Joseph G. Escudero earlier pushed back against suggestions that Congress should leave the NEP untouched, asserting lawmakers鈥 鈥減ower of the purse.鈥 Mr. Marcos agreed in principle but maintained that changes must remain consistent with the executive鈥檚 roadmap.
Pressed on whether he would allow a reenacted budget should Congress submit a version unacceptable to him, Mr. Marcos said he is willing to reenact the budget, adding that Jan. 1, 2026, remains the deadline for passing a spending law. 鈥 Chloe Mari A. Hufana


