
BEIJING 鈥 China sanctioned former Philippine senator Francis N. Tolentino on Tuesday and barred him entry, citing 鈥渆gregious conduct鈥 on matters such as the disputed South China Sea a day after the end of his six-year term.
Mr. Tolentino, who lost his bid for a second term in midterm elections, had canvassed on his efforts to bring in laws last year defining the country鈥檚 sea lanes and maritime zones, which China opposed.
A spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry accused some Filipino politicians of making 鈥渕alicious remarks and moves鈥 that hurt ties between the two nations.
鈥淭he Chinese government is firmly resolved to defend national sovereignty, security and development interests,鈥 the spokesperson added in a statement.
The sanctions prohibit Mr. Tolentino from entering the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Macau, the ministry said.
鈥淭here must be a price to pay for harming China鈥檚 interests,鈥 ministry spokesperson Mao Ning told a regular press briefing later on Tuesday when asked about the sanctions.
In his response, Mr. Tolentino dismissed the sanctions as a 鈥渂adge of honor and a testament to my unwavering commitment to protect our national interest and our people鈥檚 dignity.鈥
The former senator had previously held Senate committee hearings which revealed that Beijing was allegedly conducting a disinformation campaign in the Philippines to sway the results of the national and local elections last May.
鈥淣o foreign power can silence me or weaken my resolve to uphold our sovereignty,鈥 Mr. Tolentino added.
Ties between Beijing and Manila have worsened in recent years due to repeated encounters between their coast guard ships in the South China Sea, as China claims more than 80% of the area.
China鈥檚 claims in the South China Sea, a conduit for $3 trillion in annual ship-borne commerce, overlap with the exclusive economic zones of Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam.
A 2016 ruling of an international arbitral tribunal voided Beijing鈥檚 sweeping claims as having no basis in international law, a decision China rejects. 鈥 Adrian H. Halili with Reuters


