DBM OKs P3.6B for gov鈥檛 rural electrification program

THE Department of Budget and Management (DBM) on Tuesday said it released over P3.627 billion to fund the government鈥檚 electrification program this year.
In a statement, Budget Secretary Amenah F. Pangandaman said it released the fund to cover the continuous implementation of National Electrification Administration鈥檚 (NEA) Rural Electrification Program.
鈥淥f this amount, based on their report, NEA will be able to cover the energization of 1,752 sitios and five (5) barangays under the 2025 subsidy,鈥 Ms. Pangandaman said.
The energization of 1,752 sitios will be covered by the P3.439 billion under the subsidy allocation for the Sitio Electrification Program; while P68.839 million will be used to rehabilitate five barangays that were previously served by off-grid solutions but deemed unsustainable, through the Barangay Line Enhancement Program.
Moreover, P120 million will be used to procure and distribute 4,000 units of Solar Photovoltaic Mainstreaming to provide electricity to communities.
鈥淭hat鈥檚 a big deal for our fellow citizens who struggle to access services that can bring electricity to their homes. Through this initiative, we can also fulfill the President鈥檚 directive to provide internet connectivity to schools in remote areas. Once there鈥檚 electricity, connectivity becomes effective no matter how far the location is,鈥 Ms. Pangandaman said in a mix of English and Filipino. 鈥 Aubrey Rose A. Inosante


