PHILIPPINE COAST GUARD PHOTO

A PHILIPPINE senator on Monday called on the Marcos administration to file new cases before an international court and to build on its alliances to deter Beijing鈥檚 aggression after the largest Chinese Coast Guard ship was seen patrolling the disputed areas in the South China Sea last week.

鈥淚nstead of keeping peace in the region, China has chosen to create more disturbance,鈥 Senator Ana Theresia 鈥淩isa鈥 N. Hontiveros said in a statement.

鈥淢alaca帽ang should start filing new cases before an international court. Beijing鈥檚 ships will only keep coming back if we do not take appropriate measures.鈥

The 165-meter (541 feet) long vessel 5901, referred to by the Philippines as 鈥渢he monster,鈥 was 65 to 70 nautical miles off the coast of the province of Zambales on Jan. 5, according to the Philippine Coast Guard.

The Chinese Embassy in Manila did not immediately reply to a Viber message seeking comment.

A five-member United Nations-backed arbitral court in 2016 ruled China had violated Philippine sovereign rights in its exclusive economic zone by building artificial islands and failing to prevent its citizens from fishing in the zone.

Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, The Philippines, and Vietnam all claim parts of the sea. Tensions have risen amid concerns China鈥檚 expansive claims encroach on their exclusive economic zones.

National Security Council spokesperson Jonathan E. Malaya said last week that the so-called monster ship would be 鈥渕et with appropriate response鈥 if it does something provocative.

Ms. Hontiveros said the Philippines must build on its relationships with its international allies and hold joint patrols to deter China鈥檚 growing assertiveness.

鈥淚n the meantime, we must work on strengthening alliances with like-minded nations whose Coast Guards can patrol with ours. Together, let us show China that no 鈥榤onster鈥 ship can scare us,鈥 she said. 鈥 John Victor D. Ordo帽ez