Security analysts advise vs announcing Manila鈥檚 SCS resupply schedules

By Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza, Reporter
THE PHILIPPINES should not give in to Chinese aggression and should actively secure South China Sea (SCS) areas within its exclusive economic zone (EEZ), political analysts said, after a proposal to publicize the schedule of its resupply missions.
A recent standoff at Second Thomas Shoal, where Chinese forces towed and looted Philippine rubber boats trying to deliver supplies to a Navy outpost there was caused by Beijing鈥檚 calculated move and was not a misunderstanding, said Raymond M. Powell, a fellow at Stanford University鈥檚 Gordian Knot Center for National Security Innovation.
鈥淢anila should be aware of this and look to avoid falling into the trap in which one side attempts to deescalate while the other exploits the opportunity,鈥 he said in an X message at the weekend.
鈥淥ne needs only to go back to 2012 and the Scarborough Shoal incident, and remember how this playbook was used before.鈥
The Chinese Embassy in Manila did not immediately reply to a Viber message seeking comment.
Executive Secretary Lucas P. Bersamin told a news briefing on Friday the National Maritime Council had proposed for the Philippines to announce the schedule of its rotation and resupply missions to avoid tensions.
鈥淲e don鈥檛 know if the reason for this (recent tension) is there was no prior knowledge on the part of China,鈥 he said. 鈥淚n the best interest of all parties, I think it鈥檚 a wise decision for the President to accept our recommendation to publicize the schedule [of] activities without giving up anything.鈥
Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) spokesman Jay Tristan Tarriela on Saturday said the council鈥檚 proposal had yet to be approved by President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr.
Chinese Coast Guard men with bladed weapons on June 17 boarded Philippine rubber boats and looted several rifles, actions that Philippine military chief Romeo S. Brawner, Jr. said only 鈥減irates鈥 do.
China鈥檚 Coast Guard also deployed tear gas, 鈥渂linding鈥 strobe lights and sirens.
鈥淭he Chinese Coast Guard personnel had bladed weapons and our personnel fought with bare hands,鈥 he told a news briefing last week.
A Filipino Navy officer on a rubber boat lost his right thumb when the Chinese Coast Guard rammed it, he said.
Mr. Bersamin has said China鈥檚 acts were not a reason to activate Manila鈥檚 defense鈥 treaty with Washington, noting that the encounter was probably a 鈥渕isunderstanding or accident.鈥
鈥淲e are not yet ready to classify this as an armed attack.鈥
鈥業LLEGAL USE OF FORCE鈥
Mr. Powell said Beijing does not look at situations such as the June 17 encounter as crises to be deescalated, 鈥渂ut rather as opportunities to be exploited.鈥
鈥淢anila鈥檚 use of words like 鈥榓ccident鈥 or 鈥榤isunderstanding鈥 will be exploited by Beijing鈥檚 active propagandists as 鈥榚vidence鈥 that Beijing has the high ground,鈥 he said.
He added that the Philippines should consult with the US under their Mutual Defense Treaty to assess 鈥渧ery clear threats to its sovereignty and territorial integrity.鈥
The PCG last year launched a transparency campaign that seeks to expose China鈥檚 aggressive acts within the Philippine EEZ including the use of water cannons and dangerous maneuvers.
鈥淧ublicizing the resupply and rotation missions鈥 schedule is not a way forward for any sovereign state,鈥 Joshua Bernard B. Espe帽a, vice president at International Development and Security Cooperation, said in a Facebook Messenger chat. 鈥淭hat negates any changes made with the Philippine transparency initiative.鈥
He said the June 17 encounter was 鈥渇ar from being an accident,鈥 adding that it was similar to the 2020 standoff between Chinese and Indian forces over a border dispute in which China used unconventional weaponry to avoid international attention.
The 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty between the Philippines and US compels both sides to help each other in case of an armed attack.
American officials including President Joseph R. Biden have repeatedly said that an armed attack on Philippine troops, vessels and other assets anywhere in the South China Sea would trigger the defense pact.
鈥淲e can expect the Chinese side to be more wieldy in using illegal use of force to test the mettle of Filipino security objectives,鈥 Mr. Espe帽a said.
He urged the Philippines to speed up its rotation and resupply missions whether through airlifts or patrol boats. These should remain 鈥渦nscheduled and unannounced.鈥
鈥淭he aim here is to keep the Chinese guessing whether Manila would escalate or use the Mutual Defense Treaty,鈥 he added.
鈥淩emember: Beijing is also anxious about Washington鈥檚 ability to build a coalition strike force in the region given how precision strike capabilities and amphibious and air forces are being put into place.鈥
Michael Henry Ll. Yusingco, a fellow at the Ateneo de Manila University Policy Center, said China uses 鈥渄angerous and unprofessional maneuvers because they know we can鈥檛 stop them.鈥
鈥淢颈濒颈迟补谤测 hubris is evident in the way they operate and explain away their incursions in the West Philippine Sea,鈥 he said in an e-mail. 鈥淪imply put, they are aggressive and overpowering because they can be.鈥
鈥淪o clashes with our ships and vessels can never ever be characterized as a mere misunderstanding or an accident,鈥 he added.
This should compel the Philippine government to focus all its efforts on establishing a self-reliant defense force, he said.
鈥淭he most challenging aspect of this effort is to ensure the funds allocated for our military modernization do not end up in the pockets of corrupt public officials,鈥 Mr. Yusingco said.
Cutting overreliance on the US for external defense is a 鈥渓ong arduous path鈥 that calls for a 鈥渨hole-of-nation effort,鈥 he added. 鈥淭he different sectors of civil society should now bring their full attention to what they need to contribute to this effort.鈥
Philip Arnold P. Tua帽o, dean of the Ateneo School of Government, said in an e-mail the international community should realize that it鈥檚 in their best interest to push China to deescalate.


