Philippines protests China鈥檚 annual fishing ban

MANILA 鈥 The Philippines has protested China鈥檚 imposition of a unilateral four-month long fishing ban in the South China Sea, its foreign ministry said on Monday.
The annual imposition of a fishing ban raises tensions in the South China Sea, the foreign ministry said,calling on Beijing to 鈥渃ease and desist鈥 from 鈥渋llegal actions鈥 that violate the Philippines鈥 sovereignty and sovereign rights.
China imposes an annual fishing ban on South China Sea waters and the Philippines routinely opposes it. This year鈥檚 ban is expected to last until September.
The Philippines鈥 foreign affairs department (DFA) has protested the ban through a diplomatic note, saying the fishing moratorium covers waters within its maritime zones.
鈥淭he Philippines stressed that the unilateral imposition of the fishing moratorium raises tensions in the West Philippine Sea and the South China Sea,鈥 the DFA said in a statement.
China鈥檚 embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippine Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro last week said China鈥檚 rules about how its Coast Guard can operate in the South China were a 鈥減rovocation鈥.
China claims almost the entire South China Sea, a conduit for more than $3 trillion in annual ship commerce. Its territorial claims overlap with waters claimed by the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.
In 2016, an international arbitral tribunal said China鈥檚 claims had no legal basis, a decision Beijing has rejected. 鈥 Reuters


