By Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza, Reporter

THE PHILIPPINES has the expertise to host the board of a global fund that aims to assist nations vulnerable to climate change since it has shown its commitments to a rules-based and a sustainable future, Philippine Environment Secretary Maria Antonia Yulo-Loyzaga said over the weekend.

鈥淲e stand ready to offer our knowledge grounded in our long history and culture of human resilience,鈥 she said in a national statement on Dec. 9 at the United Nations鈥 (UN) climate conference as quoted by President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr.鈥檚 office on Sunday.

Ms. Yulo-Loyzaga stressed that the Philippines has both the 鈥渋nstitutional capacity鈥 and 鈥渆xpertise鈥 to host the United Nations鈥 Loss and Damage Fund鈥檚 board since it has already 鈥渉osted various international and regional organizations.

She cited the country鈥檚 鈥渇ootprint鈥 in various United Nations negotiations, including the Convention on the Law of the Sea, the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Convention on Climate Change and its Paris Agreement, and the Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction Agreement, among others.

鈥淸It] bears witness to our abiding interest in promoting equitable and just rules in the governance of the global commons,鈥 she said. 鈥淥ur commitment to multilateralism, strengthened international cooperation and global solidarity remains steadfast, recognizing that no single country can tackle the complexities of climate change alone.鈥

In a breakthrough on Nov. 30, delegates at the climate talks adopted the proposed loss and damage fund to help developing nations cope with the climate crisis. Countries, among them the United Kingdom, Germany and the United Arab Emirates, contributed approximately a total of $400 million to the fund.

Ms. Yulo-Loyzaga said the international community should make the Philippines a host of the fund鈥檚 board to ensure that the experiences of the most affected countries are considered.

The World Bank would only have a temporary oversight over the fund, amid questions of its connections to the United States, which is among the world鈥檚 largest climate polluters.

The US has gained backlash for contributing only $17.5 million to the fund, an amount described by many as 鈥渆mbarrassing鈥 considering the size of its economy. It鈥檚 less than a fifth of the United Arab Emirates鈥 contribution and over a dozen times less than the European Union鈥檚.

Ms. Yulo-Loyzaga said the Philippines, which seeks to have a seat at the board, is in the final stages of completing its National Action Plan (NAP) and Nationally Determined Contribution Implementation Plan (NDCIP), which would set the Philippines鈥 greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.

鈥淲e have also actively engaged in advancing climate action, disaster risk reduction and resilience-building efforts across the Asia-Pacific region and with ASEAN,鈥 she added.

The Philippines in 2012 institutionalized a survival fund that seeks to assist local government units in their climate mitigation projects, appropriating at P1 billion for it annually.

Finance Minister Benjamin E. Diokno, on the sidelines of COP28, said the Philippine government wants to replenish the Peoples Survival Fund with the help of multilateral financing institutions, including the Asian Development Bank (ADB).鈥

鈥淚 think the idea is maybe really to replenish that fund from donors. And I think there are some possible donors that we鈥檝e talked to,鈥 he said.

The fund, which was institutionalized through a 2012 law that amended the Climate Change Act of 2009, has not moved for a long time, he noted.

The Peoples Survival Fund Board, which is chaired by Mr. Diokno, earlier this month approved P539 million worth of new climate adaptation projects. Projects that are typically supported by the fund include, among others, irrigation infrastructure, early warning and drainage systems, and reforestation programs.