Opposition solons call for House probe on kidnapping of development workers听

OPPOSITION lawmakers filed a resolution on Tuesday calling for a House probe on the abduction of two labor rights activists in Cebu last week, citing a potential 鈥cover-up鈥 in the ongoing investigation by law enforcement authorities听
The three-member Makabayan Bloc filed House Resolution 695 condemning the incident and urging the Committee on Human Rights to hold a separate inquiry on the kidnapping and alleged torture of Alliance of Concerned Teachers Region VII Union Coordinator Dyan Gumanao and Alliance of Health Workers-Cebu Coordinator Armand Dayoha.听
Deputy Minority Leader France L. Castro led the filing of the resolution, which was also signed by Assistant Minority Leader Arlene D. Brosas and Kabataan Party-list Raoul Danniel A. Manuel.听
Ms. Gumanao and Mr. Dayoha were found in Carmen, Cebu on Jan. 16, five days after their kidnapping. 鈥They were blindfolded, handcuffed, driven in circles, detained, and interrogated in separate rooms,鈥 the lawmakers said in the resolution.听
The lawmakers also called on the International Labor Organization High-Level Triparte Mission (ILO-HLM) 鈥to investigate the worsening condition and treatment of trade unions in the Philippines.鈥听听
The ILO-HIM team will be in the Philippines next week to look into the Philippines鈥 labor practices.听听听
鈥We also call on the House leadership and the chairperson of the House Committee on Human Rights to call for a hearing of this resolution,鈥 Ms. Castro said.听听
鈥We fear that the case might be whitewashed by those in power, like what they did with the murder of Manny Asuncion by police operatives,鈥 Ms. Castro said.听听
The Justice department recently cleared 17 policemen of murder charges on the death of labor leader Emmanuel 鈥Manny鈥 Asuncion in 2021. 鈥 Beatriz Marie D. Cruz听


