PHL DoJ still keeping hands off Quiboloy after US assets freeze

THE PHILIPPINE Department of Justice (DoJ) on Sunday said it is still 鈥減remature鈥 for them to speak on the case of a Filipino celebrity evangelist whose assets in the United States have been frozen after an American court indicted him last year for sex-trafficking and other charges.
The US Department of the Treasury鈥檚 Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) recently blocked the transactions of Apollo C. Quiboloy, his sect named Kingdom of Jesus Christ, and other properties within the US territory.
The decision came after he was indicted by the US Department of Justice in 2021 for allegedly coercing girls as young as 12 years old to work as his personal assistants and have sex with him under threats of 鈥渆ternal damnation.鈥
In early February, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation released a 鈥渕ost wanted鈥 poster on Mr. Quiboloy, a known ally of former President Rodrigo R. Duterte.
In a statement on Sunday, the Philippine Department of Justice (DoJ) said it 鈥渉as yet to discuss the ins and outs of the sanctions on Mr. Quiboloy鈥 since 鈥渋t is simply too premature for us to speak on the issue.鈥
鈥淎llow us to gather verified information and seek US legal experts鈥 advice,鈥 it said. 鈥淭hen we can act accordingly.鈥
Mr. Quiboloy was among the 40 personalities and entities in nine countries recently sanctioned by the US treasury for their involvement in corruption cases and human rights abuses. The decision was announced as it marked International Anti-Corruption Day on Dec. 9 and International Human Rights Day on Dec. 10.
Manila鈥檚 DoJ said it 鈥渁cknowledges that the US Treasury Department issued these sanctions on their Human Rights Day and International Corruption day.鈥
鈥淲e would like to express our unity in their cause in the protection of Human Rights and in the eradication of corrupt practices.鈥
CALLS FOR ACTION
Filipino lawyers and political observers urged the Marcos administration to cooperate with the American government on Mr. Quiboloy鈥檚 case.
鈥淭he government should declare that they will respect the legal process of the US for as long as there is no conflict with ours,鈥 Michael Henry Ll. Yusingco, a Filipino lawyer and policy analyst, said in a Facebook Messenger chat.听 鈥淲e expect the same parity from them.鈥
He said the Philippine government 鈥渕ust not get involved鈥 in any way with the personalities linked to the case. 鈥淚t must take all possible measures to distance itself from the people involved in this matter whoever they may be.鈥
Mr. Quiboloy, a popular televangelist with his own broadcast network called SMNI, endorsed the candidacies of now President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. and Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Maria Ela L. Atienza, who teaches political science at the University of the Philippines, said the Quiboloy case would be a test to the Philippine justice system under the Marcos administration given that history of support.
鈥淭he government must condemn the acts, while being careful not to prejudge the guilt of the accused,鈥 Mr. Yusingco said.
National Union of Peoples鈥 Lawyers President听 Ephraim B. Cortez, meanwhile, said the pastor鈥檚 鈥渋ndictment听 in the US, including the freezing of assets and other actions taken by the US Government should be enough to investigate him in the Philippines and look into his criminal liabilities for these acts.鈥
Mr. Cortez said authorities should also conduct an investigation 鈥渢o see if his wealth, alleged by the Treasury Department of the US to be ill-gotten, were used to capitalize and operate his radio and television stations.鈥
Arjan P. Aguirre, who teaches politics at the Ateneo De Manila University, said the Philippine government 鈥渟hould not allow itself to appear like it is afraid of a personality or group engaged in patronage politics through religion.鈥
鈥淲e have here a religious figure who is enjoying so much political influence due to his relationship with former President Duterte and owns a media network, SMNI, known for its gov鈥檛 friendly media coverage these past years,鈥 he said in a Messenger chat.
Ms. Atienza noted that the US government has to formally request the Philippine government to allow Mr. Quiboloy and other co-accused to be extradited.
鈥淚f this happens, this will be a test of one aspect of Philippine-US relations,鈥 she said in a Viber message.
Party-lists advocating for women and children鈥檚 rights, on the other hand, said the Philippine government does not need to wait for the听 extradition request.
鈥淟ocal agencies must conduct actions to suppress Quiboloy鈥檚 possible continuation of sex trafficking and abuse on women and children. We cannot just wait-and-see,鈥 Assistant Minority Leader and Gabriela Rep. Arlene D. Brosas said in a statement on Sunday.
鈥极鲍罢搁础骋贰翱鲍厂鈥
Mr. Quiboloy鈥檚 American legal counsel, Michael Jay Green, said the sanctions on his client are 鈥渘ot what we believe is the presumption of innocence鈥.
鈥淚f you鈥檝e read this press release (from the US Treasury), he鈥檚 been convicted already. He鈥檚 never been heard!鈥 Mr. Green said in a streamed press briefing on Saturday.
Manny Medrano, another US-based lawyer defending Mr. Quiboloy, called the press release 鈥渙utrageous, it鈥檚 simple grandstanding, it鈥檚 utter politics by the United States government.鈥
鈥淭he US is known worldwide for its commitment for the protection of people鈥檚 rights, for its commitment for due process for individuals, and all this document does, in all candor, is to further malign the good name of Pastor Quiboloy.鈥 Mr. Medrano said. 鈥 Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza and Beatriz Marie D. Cruz


