DPWH

THE China-funded P3.39-billion Binondo鈥揑ntramuros Bridge project, which crosses the Pasig River, is set to open to motorists by Holy Week, set this year on the second week of April, the Department of Public Works and Highway (DPWH) said.

In an e-mailed statement on Tuesday, the department said the 680-meter bridge project is 鈥渘early finished at 90%.鈥

鈥淭he newest bridge in Manila鈥 will benefit approximately 30,000 vehicles daily,鈥 it noted.

The Binondo鈥揑ntramuros Bridge is one of two China-funded bridge projects in Manila. The other is the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge, which connects the cities of Makati and Mandaluyong and was completed last year.

The governments of China and the Philippines broke ground for both projects in 2018.

The two projects are among the 14 agreements signed during Chinese Premier Li Keqiang鈥檚 state visit to Manila in 2017.

The Binondo鈥揑ntramuros Bridge 鈥済ives extra space for pedestrians and dedicated lane for bikers for improved safety and ease of traffic flow,鈥 the DPWH said. 鈥 Arjay L. Balinbin