Duterte hits Senate for threat to cut Executive budget

PHILIPPINE President Rodrigo R. Duterte on Tuesday night slammed senators for threatening to cut the 2022 budgets of agencies.
鈥淵ou threaten the budget of different agencies of the Executive because the officials refuse to attend your hearings,鈥 he said in a taped Cabinet meeting. 鈥淭hey threaten to paralyze the government.鈥
Last month, the House of Representatives passed on third and final reading its version of the P5.024-trillion national budget for next year.
The Senate has yet to approve the budget bill, which they are examining after state audit reports showing deficiencies in the use of public funds by some agencies.
Mr. Duterte dared senators to slash the budgets of executive departments. 鈥淩educe the budget of the Office of the President to zero, go ahead,鈥 he said, while threatening to block the release of funds to agencies once the national budget is approved.
鈥淲ill your funds reach you without going through me? What if I don鈥檛 release them? Tit for tat,鈥 he said.
The tough-talking leader has barred Cabinet officials from attending the Senate blue ribbon committee鈥檚 hearing probing questionable state pandemic deals.
Mr. Duterte has denied corruption in pandemic-related contracts, including those bagged by Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp.
The President earlier said the country鈥檚 pandemic response was being hampered by the Senate investigation. 鈥 Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza


