Duterte daughter says she won鈥檛 run for top post

By Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza, Reporter
DAVAO CITY Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Thursday said she would no longer seek the presidency in 2022 after her father President Rodrigo R. Duterte accepted the ruling party鈥檚 nomination for him to run for vice-president.
In a text message, Ms. Carpio said she was honoring an earlier agreement that only one of them would run for a national position next year.
Mr. Duterte, who is barred by law from running for reelection, on Wednesday accepted the endorsement of a PDP-Laban faction to be its vice-presidential candidate at the elections next year. Senator Christopher Lawrence 鈥淏ong鈥 T. Go, his former aide, declined the party鈥檚 endorsement for him to be its presidential bet.
The presidential daughter said the latest move by the PDP-Laban faction led by Energy Secretary Alfonso G. Cusi was the original plan. 鈥淧lan B was for Senator Bong Go to run for VP,鈥 she said, citing a conversation with her father.
Mr. Duterte, who had flip-flopped in his 2016 presidential run, earlier said he would reconsider his vice-presidential ambition if his daughter decides to run for President.
Ms. Carpio heads Davao-based political party Hugpong ng Pagbabago, which has entered into alliances with various traditional parties less than a year before the 2022 elections.
鈥淲e are seeing here an attempt to create a grassroots demand for her candidacy,鈥 said Cleve V. Arguelles, a political science lecturer at De La Salle University. 鈥淲e should take this announcement with a grain of salt,鈥 he said in a Facebook Messenger chat. 鈥淪he鈥檚 polling well, strong potential candidates are offering to be her VP, and different political factions are talking to her.鈥
On Sept. 2, Ms. Carpio said Senators Christopher Lawrence 鈥淏ong鈥 T. Go and Sherwin T. Gatchalian had expressed their intent to run with her.
She also said a proposal to make former Defense Secretary Gilberto Eduardo Gerardo C. Teodoro her running mate 鈥渨as made known through common friends.鈥
Certain groups also want House Majority leader Martin G. Romualdez and Senator Juan Edgardo M. Angara to be her vice-president, she said.
Ms. Carpio added that she had read reports of a possible tandem between her and the late dictator鈥檚 son, former Senator Ferdinand 鈥淏ongbong鈥 R. Marcos, Jr.
鈥淚f there鈥檚 anything Sara learned from 2016 is that she can always decide to run after all what鈥檚 been said,鈥 Mr. Arguelles said. 鈥淛oining the race late isn鈥檛 a disadvantage.鈥
The filing of certificates of candidacy will start in October.
Earlier this month, Mr. Duterte said he would run for vice-president so he could continue his campaign against insurgency, corruption and illegal drugs. The tough-talking leader had also said a successful vice-presidential run would protect him from potential lawsuits.
Former International Criminal Court (ICC) Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda on June 14 asked the court鈥檚 pre-trial chamber to open a probe into Mr. Duterte鈥檚 bloody war on drugs. The court has said the Philippines鈥 withdrawal from the ICC would not affect its investigation.
Mr. Marcos on Wednesday said he is eyeing a national post in the 2022 elections.
The son of the late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos who recently lost his vice-presidential election protest at the Supreme Court said he had started organizing people on the ground who could help him win.
The former senator narrowly lost the 2016 vice-presidential race to Maria Leonor 鈥淟eni鈥 G. Robredo, whom the High Court sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal favored in Mr. Marcos鈥檚 election protest.
Mr. Marcos said he could no longer run with Senator Panfilo M. Lacson and Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III since both have officially declared their tandem for the 2022 elections. He added that his campaign would focus on pandemic recovery and food security.
Mr. Lacson on Wednesday became the first politician to announce his presidential ambition, with Mr. Sotto as his running mate.
Senator Emmanuel 鈥淢anny鈥 D. Pacquiao is also believed to be seeking the presidency, as well as Manila Mayor Francisco 鈥淚sko鈥 M. Domagoso III, a former matinee idol. A faction of the ruling party led by the boxing champion earlier ousted Mr. Duterte as party chairman.


