Police ready to use听cameras for operations, but units still lacking听

NATIONAL POLICE听chief Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar听on Tuesday assured that they will find ways to comply听with the Supreme Court鈥檚 rules on wearing cameras during operations听despite lack of available equipment.听听听
鈥淥ur body-worn cameras are not enough, but in the spirit of transparency and accountability, I trust that our commanders will find ways to comply with the guidelines on the use of body-worn cameras,鈥澨齅r. Eleazar said in a news release on Tuesday.听听听
He听said听a memorandum on the general protocols for the use of the cameras in the execution of search and arrest warrants and of warrantless arrests was issued on Monday to all听police听regional听directors and听national听operational听support听unit heads.听听听
The memorandum specifies that the cameras must never be turned off while search and arrest warrants are executed, and while warrantless arrests are ongoing听鈥渁s far as it is practicable.鈥澨听
He听said the national police had听a total of 2,696 body-worn cameras听as of June 4, and 171 police units will initially receive the听units.听听听
He added that 600 cops have so far been trained to use the gadgets.听听听
The High Court promulgated the rules on July 10, and took effect on Saturday after it was published in several newspapers.听听听
鈥淭he use of body-worn cameras is not only for the protection of human rights but also to protect policemen from wrong assertions and allegations on the implementation of our operations,鈥澨齅r. Eleazar said in Filipino.听鈥斕鼴ianca Angelica D.听A帽ago听听


