Prosecutor again junks sedition case vs teacher who tweeted reward for Duterte鈥檚 death

THE SEDITION complaint against public school teacher Ronnel A. Mas 鈥 who allegedly offered a P50-million reward to anyone who could assassinate President Rodrigo R. Duterte in a social media post on Twitter last year 鈥 has again been junked by a provincial prosecutor鈥檚 office after it denied the motion for reconsideration filed by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
The Office of the Prosecutor in Olongapo City said the NBI 鈥渟eeks to shortcut the proceedings鈥 by submitting the video evidence of Mr. Mas鈥檚 public confession on social media with the motion for reconsideration instead of during the earlier filing of the case.
鈥淭he introduction of new evidence during a motion for reconsideration is not proper,鈥 the prosecutor said.
The prosecutor also quoted a ruling from the Supreme Court stating that 鈥渢he very purpose of a motion for reconsideration is to give the prosecutor a chance to correct any errors that he or she may have committed in issuing the resolution ordering the filing of an information in court or dismissing the complaint.鈥
Nevertheless, the prosecutor said the NBI can still re-file the case 鈥渨ith the sufficient documents and evidence to establish probable cause.鈥
The prosecutor also stressed that 鈥渞ules on evidence in establishing probable cause must be upheld.鈥
This is the third time that the NBI lost the case against Mr. Mas.聽 聽
An Olongapo City court dismissed the NBI鈥檚 case last year, citing that Mr. Mas was illegally arrested. Then in February this year, a Zambales prosecutor also junked the new complaint filed by the NBI for failure to provide substantial evidence that it was Mr. Mas who posted the subject Twitter post.聽 聽
鈥淚 hope they accept defeat and they should already stop harassing Teacher Ronnel,鈥 Mr. Mas鈥檚 lawyer, Dino S. De Leon, said in a public statement on Tuesday. 鈥 Bianca Angelica D. A帽ago聽


