
As Scottie Thompson returns from hand injury
THE REMAINING piece of the Gilas Pilipinas pool to the FIBA World Cup (WC) 鈥 all 7-foot-3 of him 鈥 is officially in.
After issues over his medical condition, towering Kai Sotto has been finally cleared to join the Nationals in their WC journey, Samahang Basketbol (SBP) ng Pilipinas President Al Panlilio himself announced.
鈥淗e鈥檚 been cleared to play so that鈥檚 good news. We look forward to seeing him play,鈥 Mr. Panlilio said during the special session of the PSA Forum at the Meralco Function Hall yesterday.
Doubts were cast on Mr. Sotto鈥檚 stint in the Aug. 25 to Sept. 10 hoops showcase due to back injury, which had hounded him since the NBA Summer League.
The SBP and Gilas wanted to make sure the 21-year-old slotman is at 100 percent before signing him up for the WC. Initially, the SBP required an MRI result from Mr. Sotto鈥檚 camp.
鈥淲e didn鈥檛 see any MRI results. What we wanted to do, to also put closure, really move forward and just focus on the game, was for our doctors to meet,鈥 said SBP brass.
鈥淭he doctor of Kai and our doctor, Dr. Randy Molo, met and they cleared him. Obviously, what Kai (Sotto) needs to do in the next few days is to really improve his fitness 鈥榗oz he鈥檚 not been playing. I think that鈥檚 one aspect of the game that he needs to work on. (But) I can see he was working hard.鈥
Mr. Sotto stayed behind while the pool played in a pocket tournament in China but rejoined the Nationals when they entered the final stretch of buildup at the PhilSports Arena last week.
Mr. Sotto鈥檚 clearance as well as Scottie Thompson鈥檚 return from hand injury augured well for 16-strong pool as it fine-tunes its schemes in the next 10 days before battling the Dominican Republic in the opener.
鈥淪cottie is fit, (it鈥檚) just a matter of getting back into the groove,鈥 said Mr. Panlilio.
The Jordan Clarkson-headlined Philippine quintet is set to play tuneup matches against Ivory Coast (Friday), Montenegro (Aug. 20) and Mexico (Aug. 21) as final test before the worlds. 鈥 Olmin Leyba


