FIL-JAPANESE YUKA SASO 鈥 REUTERS

FIL-JAPANESE Yuka Saso is keeping the same old mindset as she hits the golf course for the 77th US Women鈥檚 Open amid much hype and pressure as the major鈥檚 defending champion.

鈥淚 just want to enjoy and have fun,鈥 Ms. Saso said in a presscon ahead of the prestigious tournament that starts on Thursday in Southern Pines, North Carolina.

Having a blast playing against the world鈥檚 best comes with her intense desire to be at her very best.

鈥淧laying good golf (would be the key to victory),鈥 said Ms. Saso, who beat Japanese Nasa Hataoka in the third playoff hole in her breakthrough triumph last year in San Francisco.

The 20-year-old Ms. Saso has the chance to become only the third player after greats Annika Sorenstam and Karrie Webb to win back to back US titles in the June 2-4 battle at the Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club.

鈥淚 wouldn鈥檛 compare myself to Annika and Karrie. They鈥檙e awesome players, they鈥檙e legends. I would do my best; whatever the outcome is, I would be grateful,鈥 she said.

As the titleholder, Ms. Saso鈥檚 image is all over the golf course and hotel 鈥 something that she said makes her 鈥渉appy but a little bit shy.鈥

Some are giving her the tag of 鈥渇avorite,鈥 but Ms. Saso shrugged it off.

鈥淎m I? Not really. I鈥檓 just here to do my best. Hopefully, everyone that watches us golfers enjoys it,鈥 she said.

Ms. Saso starts her bid on Thursday (Friday in Manila) on Hole No. 1 in the company of amateur Jensen Castle and Sweden鈥檚 Anna Nordqvist.

Two more Filipino aces are vying in the $10-million event with Bianca Pagdanganan and Dottie Ardina kicking off their respective campaigns in separate flights on the backside. 鈥 Olmin Leyba