PIXABAY

A LEGISLATOR called for business process outsourcing (BPO) companies to be sanctioned after they allegedly kept employees at work after a 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck Cebu province earlier this week.

鈥淭hey鈥檙e insensitive for forcing their employees to return to work just a few minutes after a massive earthquake,鈥 Akbayan Party-list Rep. Percival V. Cenda帽a said in a statement on Thursday.

At least 10 Cebu BPOs compelled staff to report to work despite safety concerns and appeals to attend to their families following the earthquake that shook Cebu province late Tuesday, the BPO Industry Employees Network-Cebu said in a statement.

鈥淢ultiple incidents of employees insisting on not reporting to work were met with notices-to-explain, administrative sanctions, loss of attendance incentives and benefits, among many retaliatory actions,鈥 the association said.

Mr. Cenda帽a said companies should not put employees in danger during emergencies. 鈥淚n situations like that, human life should be the top priority.鈥

The Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) needs to investigate BPOs that allegedly compelled staff to report to work following the earthquake, he said.

鈥淒oLE needs to monitor and act on this immediately,鈥 Mr. Cenda帽a said. 鈥淲e can鈥檛 allow this to become a normal and accepted practice in any workplace.鈥

The quake struck during the night shift, when BPOs are typically providing services to clients in other time zones. 鈥 Kenneth Christiane L. Basilio