By Adam J. Ang

THE former electricity provider of Iloilo City filed on Monday an anti-competition complaint against the city鈥檚 present power utility.

Embattled distribution utility Panay Electric Co., Inc. (PECO) said it filed with the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) a complaint against Razon-led MORE Electric and Power Corp. (MORE Power) for allegedly prohibiting competition in electricity distribution in the city.

鈥淎s soon as it was granted a franchise, it saw the opportunity of handicapping or disabling possible competition from competing with it, and of course, the most probable competitor would be PECO, being the existing distribution facility in Iloilo at that time,鈥 PECO Legal Counsel Estrella C. Elamparo said in a virtual briefing on Monday.

The company alleged that the new distribution utility exhibited 鈥減redatory, anti-competitive鈥 behavior, thus violating the provisions and principles enshrined in the Philippine Constitution, the Philippine Competition Act, and the Electric Power Industry Reform Act (EPIRA).

MORE Power now runs Iloilo City鈥檚 distribution system after President Rodrigo R. Duterte signed a measure granting its franchise for 25 years in February.

Since then, it took over PECO鈥檚 power facilities via eminent domain which a Mandaluyong court later found 鈥渦nconstitutional.鈥 The company then asked the Supreme Court to reverse the Iloilo Regional Trial Court鈥檚 decision which affirmed the takeover.

鈥淚nstead of putting up their own system, it chose to take over instead all the assets of its only potential competitor,鈥 Ms. Elamparo said.聽

On Friday, consumer group Koalisyon Bantay Kuryente, which the PECO counsel also assisted, filed with the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) a complaint against MORE Power for overcharging customers for system losses and exceeding the regulator鈥檚 mandated limit for billing the said charge.

PECO followed with a manifestation, claiming that the utility increased its system loss charges in May and July to 76 centavos per kilowatt-hour (kWh) and 66 centavos/kWh, respectively, from April鈥檚 47 centavos/kWh.

The increase represented an overcharging of around P25 million from Iloilo consumers with 55,000 megawatt-hours of usage, it claimed.

Moreover, PECO slapped a libel and cyberlibel charges against Francis Gentoral, the executive director of the Iloilo Economic Development (ILED) Foundation. The business group recently published a media statement claiming that the former has overbilled consumers in the past and caused numerous investors to flee the city.

The publication reached out to ILED Foundation for a reaction, but it has yet to respond as of press time.

鈥淲e are fighting for our rights and to stop ILED Foundation from tarnishing the reputation of PECO,鈥 Ms. Elamparo said.