J.P. MORGAN said it expects the Monetary Board to further reduce benchmark interest rates by 25 basis points (bps) next quarter to stimulate the economy in response to the novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak.

In its 鈥淕lobal Watch: Asia鈥 Economic Research note published yesterday, the bank said the outbreak could further magnify downside risks to economic growth, first manifesting in the 鈥渓ackluster capex (capital expenditure) outlook this year.鈥

鈥淚n our view, downside risk to GDP (gross domestic product) growth has intensified owing to potential economic impact from the current 2019-nCov outbreak on the Philippine economy,鈥 the report said.

鈥淎mid growth concerns and a well-behaved inflation trajectory due in part to lower global energy prices, we now look for a further 25bp policy easing in 2Q20,鈥 it said.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Governor Benjamin E. Diokno signalled another possible cut by midyear in an interview with Bloomberg TV Friday.

The Monetary Board cut benchmark interest rates by 25 bps during its first rate-setting meeting of the year last week, bringing the reverse repurchase rate to 3.75%, while overnight lending and deposit rates fell to 4.25% and 3.25%, respectively.

J.P. Morgan, however, maintained its 6.2% GDP growth forecast for the Philippines, which is below the 6.5-7.5% government target. It downgraded projections for its neighbors which were also affected by the outbreak, with Hong Kong and Singapore receiving the largest downward revisions.

鈥淕iven the depth and breadth of the outbreak across borders as seen in recent days, in our view, there is some downside risk to our 6.2% y/y (year-on-year) GDP growth forecast this year, which as it is, undershoots the government鈥檚 GDP growth target of 6.5%-7.5%,鈥 it said.

It said the outbreak鈥檚 impact will be 鈥渢emporary but large鈥 via two major channels, the first in the form of a demand shock with the panic affecting mobility, leading to declining in economic activity in tourism, offline retail sales, transportation, catering services, and entertainment.

The second will be a supply shock mainly due to factory shutdowns and supply disruptions over the near term.

鈥淚n our latest baseline scenario, we assume the contagion will peak in March and consumption will quickly recover in 2Q, while factories will reopen on Feb. 10 in most provinces (with a few exceptions), hence the supply shock will be most severely felt in February, with partial and gradual recovery throughout February and March and full recovery in 2Q,鈥 it said.

According to preliminary estimates by the National Economic and Development Authority, a prolonged 2019-nCoV outbreak will largely hurt the tourism sector and might dent the economy by around 0.3% if the virus is felt until June. The drag on GDP is expected to rise to 0.7% if the threat remains elevated until December. — Beatrice M. Laforga