Cambodia asked to resolve arrest of Filipino workers
THE Philippine government asked Cambodia to resolve a 鈥渕isunderstanding鈥 involving the arrest of Filipino workers there whose job agency had lost its license.
鈥淭ell Cambodia our continuing diplomatic relations will depend entirely on the swift outcome of this non-problem. And I mean it,鈥 Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro L. Locsin, Jr. said in a social media post on Sunday.
Mr. Locsin said Philippine officials are in Siem Reap 鈥済athering the loose ends.鈥 The detained Filipinos had been allowed to be sent home, he said at the weekend.
鈥淭he Filipinos detained in Siem Reap on their way home鈥 he said. 鈥淚t鈥檚 what we do best: bring 鈥榚m back.鈥
Meanwhile, the top Philippine diplomat raised concern about the trafficking of two Filipinos in Morocco who had been repatriated through the Philippine Embassy in Libya.
鈥淭his happens because government agencies in cahoots with illegal recruiters prevent reform measures offered by host governments in Arab lands who don鈥檛 want it anymore than we do,鈥 Mr. Locsin said in a social media post on Saturday.
鈥淭he unregulated environment offers P80,000 to P 250,000 per trafficked person,鈥 he said. — Charmaine A. Tadalan


