THE FORMER Philippine National Police Chief Oscar D. Albayalde. 鈥 PHILSTAR/MICHAEL VARCAS

THE DEPARTMENT of Interior and Local Government鈥檚 (DILG) probe on possible administrative charges against resigned Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Oscar D. Albayalde will push through, as opposed to Malaca帽ang鈥檚 claim.

鈥淵es. It鈥檚 proceeding,鈥 DILG Undersecretary Jonathan E. Malaya told 大象传媒 via phone message on Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador S. Panelo said the investigation on Mr. Albayalde鈥檚 possible administrative liability for the 2013 drug recycling case in Pampanga involving 13 cops will no longer proceed after he stepped down from the police top post Monday.

Wala na kasi wala na 蝉鈥檡补 sa (There will be no more investigation because he is no longer with the) PNP,鈥 Mr. Panelo said in a televised briefing.

The DILG, which has supervisory authority over the PNP, has been conducting an independent investigation on the case, which Secretary Eduardo M. A帽o targets submitting to President Rodrigo R. Duterte this week.

鈥淲e expect the release before the end of the week,鈥 Mr. Malaya said.

Mr. A帽o, for his part, clarified that the investigation is centered on the operation of the involved police officers, who have been dubbed 鈥渘inja cops,鈥 as well as look into Mr. Albayalde鈥檚 involvement.

鈥淥ur investigation is about ninja cops. Titingnan namin kung may involvement 蝉鈥檡补 (We will look into whether Mr. Albayalde had involvement), as alleged,鈥 Mr. A帽o said in a separate phone message.

Mr. Albayalde has been accused by former police officers in a Senate probe of intervening in the proceedings of the dismissal order issued against the 13 ninja cops and having a take in the reselling of the drugs seized.

Mr. Panelo noted that criminal charges against Mr. Albayalde will depend on the Department of Justice鈥檚 findings based on the recommendation of either the Senate or the DILG. 鈥 Charmaine A. Tadalan