Mindanao Railway project specs altered to hurry implementation
THE Department of Transportation (DoTr) said costs were adjusted upward for the Mindanao Railway Project Phase 1 due to the need to traverse rolling terrain, while the rail line was downgraded to single track and non-electric to speed up implementation.
Transportation Undersecretary for Railways Timothy John R. Batan told reporters Tuesday that the approved project cost more than doubled to P82.9 billion from P35.9 billion previously because earlier studies had assumed that the rail line would cross flat terrain.
鈥淔easibility study from 2015 to 2017 assumed (the route to be) flat. But if you look at the alignment of Tagum-Davao-Digos, it鈥檚 not flat, it鈥檚 rolling鈥 we need some infrastructure adjustments, some civil works adjustments such as elevated viaducts and deep cuts, which is the primary driver of our increase in cost,鈥 he said.
A National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) subcommittee approved the increased cost estimate last week.
鈥Ang configuration natin ngayon [Our configuration now]… is single track, non-electrified. The reason why the interagency ICC (Investment Coordination Committee) decided [to do that] is to optimize the investment,鈥 he added.
The NEDA ICC Cabinet Committee said Monday it approved the increased budget for the China-funded Tagum-Davao-Digos segment of the Mindanao Railway Project to cover changes in its structural and construction works and the inclusion of a Davao Satellite Depot.
Transportation Secretary Arthur P. Tugade said the downgrade in the railway鈥檚 configuration was meant to get the project rolling.
鈥[G]usto ko double track hindi single track. Gusto ko electrified, hindi diesel. Ngayon sabi nila, para maumpisahan na 鈥榶an, 鈥榶ung engineering design, baguhin natin. Gawin nating single track, diesel,.. (pero) sa umpisa lang 鈥榶an [I wanted it to be double track and electrified. But they said to start the project, the engineering design must be changed to single track, diesel. But that鈥檚 just for now],鈥 he said.
鈥Tandaan mo, by phases 鈥yan. Pwede naman 鈥榶an baguhin in the future. Para maumpisahan na lang [Remember, that project would come in phases. That could still be changed in the future. This is only to get the project started],鈥 he added.
With the approval from NEDA, the DoTr now hopes to sign the loan agreement for the Tagum-Davao-Digos segment with the government of China within the first half of next year. Construction is also eyed to begin in parallel with the loan signing.
鈥淔irst, second quarter, matagal na 鈥榶un [at the latest]… We鈥檙e planning to get a commitment from the Chinese government, para 鈥榩ag na-award natin 鈥榶ung kontrata within this year, in parallel with the negotiations for the Chinese loan agreement, nagtatrabaho na sila [that when we award the contract this year, they鈥檒l start working in parallel with the negotiations for the loan agreement],鈥 Mr. Batan said.
鈥淲ith the decision of the ICC last week, we are already sending this week our request for the shortlist,鈥 he added, referring to the shortlist of contractors that China will provide to the Philippines as the recipient of the ODA. The DoTr will choose from the shortlist, through a limited competitive bid, the Chinese contractor to undertake the project.
鈥淭he commitment of China to finance the project has not changed from the time that they made that commitment in 2018.鈥
Mr. Batan said based on the general terms, China is expected to finance up to 80-85% of the Tagum-Davao-Digos railway鈥檚 total project cost. — Denise A. Valdez


