Duterte bets dominate Top 12
By Vann Marlo M. Villegas, Reporter
AN unofficial count as of Monday early evening showed candidates of President Rodrigo R. Duterte鈥檚 administration dominating the top 12 slots of the senatorial race, led by reelectionist Senator Cynthia A. Villar.
Based on partial and unofficial election returns by the Commission on Elections, as posted at the headquarters of the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV) and also by the media, the top 12 candidates in the count are:
1. Cynthia A. Villar
2. Grace Poe-Llamanzares
3. Christopher 鈥淏ong鈥 T. Go
4. Pilar Julianna 鈥淧ia鈥 S. Cayetano
5. Ronald 鈥淏ato鈥 M. Dela Rosa
6. Juan Edgardo 鈥淪onny鈥 M. Angara
7. Maria Imelda Josefa 鈥淚mee鈥 R. Marcos
8. Manuel 鈥淟ito鈥 M. Lapid
9. Francis N. Tolentino
10. Maria Lourdes 鈥淣ancy鈥 S. Binay
11. Ramon 鈥淏ong鈥 Revilla, Jr.
12. Joseph Victor 鈥淛V鈥 G. Ejercito
The 13th to 18th spots, meanwhile, are occupied by opposition reelectionist Senator Paolo Benigno 鈥淏am鈥 A. Aquino IV, reelectionist Senator Aquilino Martin 鈥淜oko鈥 D. Pimentel III, former senators Jinggoy E. Estrada, Manuel 鈥淢ar鈥 A. Roxas, and Sergio 鈥淪erge鈥 D. Osme帽a III, and first-time senatorial candidate Willie 鈥淒oc Willie鈥 T. Ong.
Ms. Villar led the senatorial race as of 6:05 p.m. with 93,660 votes followed by Ms. Poe with 83,258 votes. The count is based on 330 out of 85,769 clustered precincts.
Among the Top 12, only three candidates were not endorsed by President Rodrigo R. Duterte: Mses. Poe and Binay, and Mr. Lapid.
VOTE-BUYING
鈥淢assive鈥 vote-buying as well as malfunctioning vote-counting machines (VCMs) were among the drawbacks reported by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and election watchdog Namfrel, as voters trooped to the polls for Monday鈥檚 midterm elections, three years into President Rodrigo R. Duterte鈥檚 term.
The PNP claimed that there are 鈥渕assive鈥 vote-buying cases after it tallied a total of 120 incidents with 302 violators based on its 1 p.m. update.
鈥淭he report here is nakikita natin is 鈥榶耻苍驳 massive 鈥榶耻苍驳 vote-buying incidents. 鈥榊耻苍驳 reports of vote-buying ay kaliwa鈥檛 kanan,鈥 PNP chief Gen. Oscar D. Albayalde said in a noontime press briefing on Monday, May 13. (We see reports of massive vote-buying incidents. Reports of vote-buying are everywhere).
But the PNP chief also qualified, 鈥淎lthough some of the reports ay hindi (are not) confirmed and are not actually true. Dahil yung iba nga, 鈥榶耻苍驳 mga supporters, makita lang na magrupo-grupo 鈥榶耻苍驳 mga tao du鈥檔 ire-report na nila as vote-buying.鈥 (Because in some cases, supporters will spot people gathering and will report this as vote-buying).
Mr. Duterte himself, asked by reporters after voting in Davao City on Monday afternoon, said, 鈥淚 have yet to receive (reports about) more than just the ordinary vote-buying.鈥
Mr. Albayalde also reported that election violence is thus far lower compared with 106 recorded in 2016 and 94 in 2013.
As of noontime Monday, PNP reported 43 incidents of election violence with 20 casualties, 24 individuals injured, and 29 unharmed.
The National Citizen鈥檚 Movement for Free Elections (NAMFREL) also reported 鈥渞ampant鈥 vote-buying on Monday.
鈥淭alamak nga din 鈥榶耻苍驳 vote-buying. May vote-buying reported incidents in Cagayan de Oro, inconclusive pa, kasi patago 鈥榶ang mga yan. Sa Pasay kanina may sample ballots. Du鈥檔 sa report mukhang nakalakip 鈥榶耻苍驳 pera sa sample ballot,鈥 National Council member Lito Averia of NAMFREL told reporters early Monday afternoon. (Vote-buying is rampant. There are reported vote-buying incidents in Cagayan de Oro, but still inconclusive, because these are done surreptitiously. In Pasay [city], earlier, there were sample ballots distributed, which according to reports contained money).
For its part, election watchdog PPCRV said as of Monday afternoon it has received 鈥(n)othing alarming so far鈥 from its monitoring of Monday鈥檚 elections.
鈥淭he reports that we鈥檝e been receiving so far are VCMs that are malfunctioning, and people not being able to find their names in the master list. For the VCMs not functioning, it鈥檚 the (Electoral Board) whose taking care of that…. Basically those are reports on the ground that we have been receiving so far,鈥 PPCRV Media Director Agnes Gervacio told reporters.
鈥淎ll of our reports are really just, 鈥業 cannot find my name or VCMs are not working and were waiting here,鈥 the usual problems that we encounter. Nothing alarming so far,鈥 she added.
On vote-buying, Ms. Gervacio said in part, 鈥淔rom our side, I don鈥檛 think we鈥檝e received a lot of reports from our volunteers.鈥
PPCRV Executive Director Maribel Buenaobra, for her part, said the 400 to 600 malfunctioning VCMs reported by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) is 鈥渘ot alarming,鈥 as this number is 鈥渏ust about less than 1%鈥 of around 85,000 machines.
Former vice-president Jejomar C. Binay himself had complained to the Comelec on Monday morning after his ballot was rejected by the VCM at the Makati polling place where he was registered. Mr. Binay was able to cast his vote again after he was provided a 鈥渞eplacement ballot.鈥
BLASTS
In Mindanao, authorities reported Election Day to be generally peaceful, with reported incidents mainly concerning malfunctioning VCMs as in other parts of the country.
But two separate blasts were reported in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), although no casualties were reported yet from either incident.
The explosions, which took place early morning before the opening of voting precincts, were in Barangay RH10 in Cotabato City and in the town of Datu Odin Sinsuat in Maguindanao, according to the Philippine Army鈥檚 6th Infantry Division (6ID).
Both occurred in open areas, but the one in Cotabato City was near the People鈥檚 Palace.
鈥淣o one was hurt during the two separate explosions,鈥 Major Arvin Encinas, 6ID spokesperson of the Philippine Army 6ID, said. 鈥淭he military sees this as an attempt to disrupt the election. This only aims to scare the citizens for them not to proceed to their precincts.鈥
鈥淎side from these two incidents, we can say that the elections in our area of responsibility are generally peaceful,鈥 said Mr. Encinas.
In the Davao Region, Police Regional Director Brig. Gen. Marcelo C. Morales said 110 VCMs, mostly in Talaingod, Davao del Norte, out of 3,771 were reported to have malfunctioned.
For his part, Col. Ferlu M. Silvio, head of Davao del Norte鈥檚 provincial police, said he has ordered the monitoring of vehicles being used for vote-buying. 鈥淰ans are mobile and we have yet to accost and catch them in the act,鈥 he said.
Davao del Norte is considered a hotspot due to the political rivalry between 2nd District Rep. Antonio R. Floirendo Jr. of the Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HnP) and 1st District Rep. Pantaleon D. Alvarez of the Partido ng Demokratikong Pilipino-Laban (PDP-Laban).
Mr. Floirendo, whom Malaca帽ang anticipates to be the next speaker of the House of Representatives, is seeking reelection against Alan R. Dujali of PDP-Laban, while Mr. Alvarez is also seeking reelection against Mr. Floirendo鈥檚 cousin, Gov. Antonio Rafael R. del Rosario.
In the Northern Mindanao Region, Police Region 10 Office reported more than P1 million seized and at least 16 persons arrested, as well as eight cases filed on alleged vote-buying. 鈥 with reports by Vince Angelo C. Ferreras, Charmaine A. Tadalan, Maya M. Padillo, Tajallih S. Basman, and Carmelito Q. Francisco.


