THE MAIN opposition Liberal Party (LP) has teamed up with other political and cause-oriented groups, forming an eight-member senatorial line-up for the May 2019 midterm elections to fight what it described as a 鈥渃reeping authoritarianism鈥 in the political landscape.
Francis 鈥淜iko鈥 N. Pangilinan, LP president and campaign manager of the new coalition, said the groups share a 鈥渃ommon set of facts and values鈥 and aim 鈥渢o reclaim wider democratic spaces to push our common agenda of a progressive and prosperous Philippines primarily through the 2019 national elections.鈥
The coalition includes the Aksyon Demokratiko party founded by the late Raul S. Roco, party-lists Magdalo and Akbayan, and the Tindig Pilipinas group, among others.
The senatorial slate is composed of Senator Paolo Benigno 鈥淏am鈥 A. Aquino IV; former senator and interior secretary Manuel 鈥淢ar鈥 A. Roxas II; legal counsel to the vice-president Romulo B. Macalintal; Magdalo Party-list Representative Gary C. Alejano; Free Legal Assistance Group (FLAG) Chairperson Jose Manuel 鈥淐hel鈥 I. Diokno; former Bangsamoro Transition Commission member Samira Gutoc-Tomawis; former solicitor general Florin 鈥濸ilo鈥 T. Hillbay; and former House of Representatives deputy speaker Lorenzo 鈥濫rin鈥 R. Ta帽ada III.
Mr. Pangilinan said the LP鈥檚 chosen candidates are 鈥減ro-democracy, pro-poor, and pro-progress.鈥
鈥淭hat would be the over arching theme of our campaign as we put forward solutions to high prices and inflation, creation of better-paying jobs and increased incomes,鈥 he added.
Sought for comment on the senatorial bids of three former senators who are facing charges relating to the pork barrel scam 鈥 Ramon 鈥淏ong鈥 B. Revilla Jr., Jose Pimentel 鈥淛inggoy鈥 E. Estrada Jr., and Juan F. Ponce Enrile -鈥 the opposition leader said, 鈥淭hat shows the level of disrespect and cynicism in our democracy and electoral system. I hope our voters will see through that.鈥
Mr. Revilla, who is in jail while awaiting resolution on his plunder case, filed his Certificate of Candidacy (CoC) yesterday through his wife, Lani Mercado-Revilla.
The 94-year old Enrile, who is out of detention for humanitarian reasons, personally filed his CoC after an earlier filing by a proxy contained errors.
Mr. Estrada, out on bail, filed his COC on Tuesday.
Among the other candidates who made their bids on Wednesday, the last day of the COC filing, were former Presidential spokesperson Harry L. Roque, who is gunning for a Senate seat after announcing earlier this week that he would be the first nominee of party-list Luntian.
Mr. Roque said he is now running under the People鈥檚 Reform Party (PRP), founded by the late senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago.
He added that the ruling Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) party offered him a seat in its senatorial slate, but he declined.
鈥淚 have been offered a seat under PDP-Laban, which I am grateful for, pero ang sabi ko nga (but as I鈥檝e said), if I鈥檓 going to run it cannot be as a traditional politician.鈥
152 SENATORIAL CANDIDATES
After the closing of the five-day filing period, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) reported that it accepted 152 COCs for senator and 185 party-list certificates of nomination.
Comelec Commissioner Ma. Rowena Amelia V. Guanzon noted that only 42 of the party-lists have women as first nominees, or 23% of the total.
鈥淚t鈥檚 too little,鈥 she said, adding that the minimum for women candidates should be 20%.
The Comelec will release the final list of candidates by December 15.
鈥淲e have a deadline to cleanse all the nuisance candidates before December 15,鈥 Comelec Commissioner Marlon S. Casquejo said. 鈥 Gillian M. Cortez