OPPOSITION of the House of Representatives majority bloc to the P3.757-trillion proposed 2019 national budget caught Malaca帽ang by surprise, at a time a newly installed leadership has just settled down in the chamber and with preparations for the May mid-term elections next year soon under way.
Saying that the Palace was initially 鈥減uzzled, shocked and curious鈥 when news of such opposition came out on Thursday last week, Presidential Spokesperson Harry L. Roque, Jr. said in a press briefing in Malaca帽ang on Monday that 鈥渘ow鈥 we are alarmed.鈥
鈥淢aybe we should use a stronger language,鈥 he added, noting that 鈥渇or the past two years, wala pong problema ang palasyo sa 产耻诲驳别迟鈥 So kauna-unahang pagkakataon ito na 鈥榶ung House po na may supermajority ng administration, eh syang humaharang ng budget. (The Palace has not had any problem with budget approval in Congress in the past two years鈥 so this is the first time that it is the House 鈥 where the administration commands a supermajority 鈥 that is blocking the budget),鈥 Mr. Roque told reporters.
Eh parang nabaliktad na po. Baka nga hindi na kailangang magkaroon ng minority floor leader dahil minority na 鈥榶ung may power doon sa Kongreso鈥 (It seems the situation has reversed: there may not be any need for a minority floor leader because it seems it is the minority that holds power in the House鈥),鈥 he added.
鈥淚 realize these are harsh words. But these harsh words are intended to give them a message that we are shocked at the resistance of the House because we were confident that when there was a change in leadership we would still be very close allies.鈥
The 17th Congress鈥 third regular session opened on July 23 in tumultuous circumstances, as former president Rep. Gloria M. Arroyo of Pampanga鈥檚 second district wrested the speakership from Rep. Pantaleon D. Alvarez of Davao del Norte鈥檚 first district.
Mr. Duterte鈥檚 control of the House has never been that firm, however, as reflected by his acknowledgement in March last year that the first of up to five planned tax reform packages had faced rough sailing in that chamber, which was then under the leadership of Mr. Alvarez.
House Appropriations committee chairman Rep. Karlo Alexei B. Nograles of the first district of Davao City 鈥 President Rodrigo R. Duterte鈥檚 hometown 鈥 announced on Thursday last week that public hearings on the proposed budget would be on hold.
He opposed the shift to a 鈥渃ash-based鈥 system for the proposed national budget 鈥 characterized by allocations for projects that can be auctioned off within a year 鈥 from the existing 鈥渙bligation-based鈥 framework that provides funds for projects that can be auctioned off over a two-year horizon, after noting that the proposal for 2019 is even less than this year鈥檚 P3.767-trillion spending plan.
Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno had explained that the 鈥渃ash-based鈥 system 鈥 provided by House Bill No. 7302 which Mr. Nograles and House Majority Leader Rolando G. Andaya, Jr. co-authored with several other lawmakers and which hurdled final reading approval in the House last March 鈥 took into consideration the limited spending capacity of implementing departments and agencies that had led to chronic underspending in the past.
Mr. Nograles鈥 committee has circulated a resolution in the House to recall HB 7302 from the Senate.
Mr. Roque said on Monday that 鈥淸t]he ball is in the hands of our allies in Congress.鈥
At the same time he warned the House that reenactment of the national budget, which would occur automatically on Jan. 1, 2019 should the government fail to enact a new one by yearend, would give Malaca帽ang prerogative to allocate funds 鈥 and this during an election year.
MALACA脩ANG 鈥楴OT BLINKING鈥 NOT SCARED鈥
鈥溾 [W]e are not blinking. We are not scared of a reenacted budget,鈥 Mr. Roque said.
鈥淐ongressmen should better ask themselves what will happen to their projects; because under a reenacted budget, it is Malaca帽ang that will determine which budgets will be implemented,鈥 he explained.
鈥淚 don鈥檛 think they want that.鈥
Senator Francis N. Pangilinan warned in a press statement on Monday that a reenacted budget would give 鈥渢he President blanket authority to declare the capital outlay component as 鈥榮avings鈥.鈥
鈥淚t means literally stuffing the President鈥檚 war chest with funds in an election year.鈥
Mr. Roque told reporters that he had conferred with Mr. Diokno and Finance Sec. Carlos G. Dominguez III on Monday morning 鈥渁nd they were united in saying that we are not daunted by the possibility of a reenacted budget, because that means it is the Executive that would choose which budget will be implemented.鈥
鈥淚n other words, we are not about to give in.鈥
In a press briefing in the House, Mr. Andaya insisted 鈥渢here will be no reenacted budget.鈥
鈥淲e are not moving towards a reenacted budget. We鈥檙e just taking a detour to understand what this cash budgeting is,鈥 he said, asking that if 鈥渦nderspending has been cured, so why now slash the budget?鈥
Mr. Nograles insisted in the same House briefing that 鈥渢he DBM (Department of Budget and Management) can come back to Congress and amend what they submitted鈥 in the form of 鈥渆rrata鈥 to the 2019 budget proposal.
Senators held a caucus on this issue on Monday, resulting in a decision 鈥渘ot to get a position for the Senate whether it should be cash-based or not鈥, Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III told reporters.
Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel F. Zubiri told reporters after the caucus that Mr. Diokno will meet today with Mr. Nograles and Senate finance committee chairman Loren B. Legarda in a bid to resolve the impasse. 鈥 Arjay L. Balinbin, Charmaine A. Tadalan and Camille A. Aguinaldo