THE Department of Agriculture (DA) said budget cuts for 2019 have prompted a shift in focus for its mechanization program in favor of a private-sector service model as it moves away from providing subsidies to farmers.
Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel F. Pi帽ol said during the department鈥檚 budget hearing on Thursday that repositioning companies to act as 鈥渟ervice providers鈥 to farmers is part of the department鈥檚 鈥渟trategic shift from subsidy to credit.鈥
鈥淸They] are all private companies who provide farm services — tractors, planters, harvesters,鈥 he added, noting that two such companies are operating in Mindanao.
鈥淲e are pursuing this because there are companies that like to invest in agriculture but they simply do not know where they would be able to invest.鈥
The DA was given P55.9 billion for its 2019 budget, P6 billion less from this year鈥檚 budget, amid concerns it cannot fully utilize its funds.
Mr. Pi帽ol told reporters last week that the DA is reviewing a program to provide seed to farmers in order to cut costs.
鈥淭he unused stock of seed is a total waste of money and given the fact that our budget was reduced by P6 billion, we have to cut down on some unnecessary expenses,鈥 he added.
Mr. Pi帽ol said the DA will continue with its programs to enhance productivity of small farmers and fisherfolk through easy-access loan programs.
鈥淭his is mainly because of the fact that we cannot possible give out free support to everybody,鈥 he added.
The DA has a loan budget of P5.1 billion, which is expected to cover 74,000 beneficiaries. The full implementation of the lending program is expected to take effect by 2020. — Arra B. Francia