PNP, PDEA also flag links between drugs, human rights
By Arjay L. Balinbin
THE Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) are investigating the alleged links between human rights organizations and drug syndicates, officials of those agencies said in a briefing at Malaca帽ang on Tuesday.
鈥淭hat is subject to further investigation by all law enforcement agencies. But seeing the trend of how they attack the anti-drug campaign, I guess we can only surmise that it might be unwitting to the human rights groups that they are being capitalized or made as leverage by drug groups,鈥 PDEA Spokesperson Derrick Arnold Carreon said at the #RealNumbersPH media briefing at Malaca帽ang on Tuesday, March 27.
For his part, PNP Spokesperson Chief Superintendent John C. Bulalacao said his agency is 鈥渧alidating鈥 reports that human rights groups are being used by drug syndicates to 鈥渄iscredit the efforts of the government against drug trafficking.鈥
The said reports are a 鈥渞ecent finding,鈥 Mr. Carreon for his part said, adding that PDEA is 鈥渃ooperating closely鈥 with the PNP and related agencies.
Presidential Spokesperson Herminio Harry L. Roque, Jr. and Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano have previously issued statements claiming that 鈥渟ome human rights groups have become unwitting tools of drug lords to hinder the strides made by the administration.鈥
Such allegations, according to Human Rights Watch (HRW) deputy director Phelim Kine, 鈥渁re more than just gratuitous slurs aimed at undermining the integrity of already beleaguered Philippine human rights activists pushing back against the Duterte government鈥檚 systematic attack on rule of law and its instigation and incitement of possible crimes against humanity.鈥
鈥淧ublicly linking human rights groups with 鈥榙rug lords鈥 constitutes a sinister veiled threat in a country in which government-compiled 鈥榳atch lists鈥 of suspected drug users and drug dealers have been linked to many of the 鈥榙rug wars鈥 thousands of victims. This is a familiar government tactic,鈥 Mr. Kine added.
On Tuesday, Mr. Roque said he stood by his earlier remarks. 鈥淪uch scenario, we reiterate, should not be discounted given the billion-peso losses of the drug lords.鈥
鈥淗uman Rights Watch (HRW) should therefore not feel alluded to, exaggerate and politicize the issue to get some media mileage and public attention,鈥 he added.
For his part, Bayan Muna Party-list Representative Carlos Isagani T. Zarate said: 鈥淭hat is a very dangerous statement. It [puts] the lives ng ating (of our) human rights advocates in grave danger. Ang dami nang namamatay dahil lang sila鈥檡 napagkakamalan (Many have died already for being wrongly accused). Fake news ang sinasabi nilang pinopondohan ng drug lords ang human rights advocates (Saying that human rights advocates are being funded by drug lords is fake news).鈥
鈥淚responsable ang statement na 鈥檡an ni Harry Roque, who, tragically, galing pa naman dati sa human rights community (Harry Roque鈥檚 statement is irresponsible, [and] tragically, [he] came from the human rights community),鈥 Mr. Zarate noted.
In its statement, the opposition Liberal Party quoted its vice-president, former congressman Lorenzo R. Tanada III, as saying: 鈥淭he plot gets crazier by the day.鈥
鈥淲e also see the statement as an attempt to taint and damage the efforts of human rights groups, who have been courageous and untiring in monitoring the implementation of the government鈥檚 anti-drug efforts and the abuses that go with them,鈥 he added. 鈥 with Minde Nyl R. dela Cruz


