By Arjay L. Balinbin

PRESIDENT Rodrigo R. Duterte has claimed anew that New York-based businesswoman-philanthropist Loida Nicolas Lewis has conspired with the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate him on his government鈥檚 war on drugs.

The President mentioned Ms. Lewis, a known supporter of former president Benigno S.C. Aquino III, in his speech at the general assembly of the聽League of Municipalities of the Philippines聽(LMP) last Tuesday, March 20.

鈥溾橸ung babae ngayon (the woman) prosecutor, all along she was in contact with you know, 鈥檡ung mga (with) reporters. She was giving interviews, calling her predecessor and placing now her situation or her position in utter disharmony,鈥 Mr. Duterte narrated.

鈥淓h na-tap siya. Kaya ako鈥 Bakit ko alam si 尝辞颈诲补鈥? Na-tap rin siya.鈥

(She was wiretapped. So why do I know about what Loida Nicolas Lewis did? She was wiretapped, too.)

Mr. Duterte said he has a copy of Ms. Lewis鈥檚 conversation which was given to him by 鈥渟omebody鈥 from 鈥渟ome countries.鈥

鈥淟ook, I have a copy of your conversation. It was not given to me by America, but by somebody else, by some countries,鈥 he said.

It was on聽Feb. 9聽when the President first tagged Ms. Lewis in the ICC鈥檚 decision to conduct a preliminary examination on the complaint filed against him by the camp of聽opposition Senator Antonio聽F.聽Trillanes聽IV.

He said: 鈥淲ell,…I have this transmittal. I cannot reveal it, but I can tell you now. Three days after, they were discussing. I had already…I was already listening to the tapes of their聽conversation. It was provided to me by another country, but the聽conversation聽was somewhere [in the] Philippines and New York. Loida…was one of them. And there was this: 鈥楽ee you in the headquarters when the case is filed.鈥欌

In a subsequent statement, Ms. Lewis denied the President鈥檚 allegations against her.

鈥淭here is absolutely no truth to the story given to you by 鈥榓nother country,鈥 that I was in any way involved in the International Criminal Court鈥檚 (ICC) decision to investigate the Extra Judicial Killings in the Philippines,鈥 she said.

鈥淎ny supposed transcript of a recent phone conversation is bogus. 鈥楽ee you at the headquarters when the case is filed鈥 is laughable, because US Pinoys for Good Governance does not even have a headquarters! We use internet for communications and teleconference,鈥 she added.

In his press briefing on Thursday, Presidential Spokesperson Herminio Harry L. Roque, Jr. said, 鈥淚鈥檓 not privy to information that was given to the President.鈥

As for her possible connections and motivation, the spokesman said civil society organizations are given a big role in the ICC. 鈥淪he is rich! The ICC accepts donations from private persons and organizations, and I do know that 鈥 particularly on the reparation fund. The ICC welcomes donations from everyone.鈥

Also聽on Thursday, Mr. Roque thanked Russian Ambassador Igor Khovaev for expressing his support for the Philippines鈥 withdrawal from the ICC.