Streetwise

In a matter of days, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, has made a 180-degree turn in policy regarding peace negotiations with the revolutionary movement represented by the National Democratic Front of the Philippines or NDFP that probably left even the government negotiating panel dumbstruck.

In a series of statements starting November 18 Duterte declared that he would call off the GRP-NDFP peace talks, tag the CPP/NPA as 鈥渢errorists鈥 and order the rearrest of NDFP consultants who had been released from prison to participate in the talks.

By Nov. 22, OPAPP Secretary Dureza announced that all meetings with the NDFP peace panel were called off. And by Nov. 23, Duterte issued Proclamation 360 鈥渢erminating鈥 the peace negotiations.

Unknown to most, the 5th round of formal talks, aborted last May in the wake of the declaration of martial law in Mindanao, was slated to resume Nov. 25 to 27 in Norway. Before this, the two parties held backchannel meetings in the first week of October on how to restart the formal talks. The only hint that Duterte was entertaining a possible resumption was a casual remark to this effect upon the release of a police officer by the NPA in Mindanao.

In October bilateral teams of the Reciprocal Working Committees (RWCs) worked double-time on the Comprehensive Agreement on Socio-economic Reforms (CASER). Had the 5th round pushed through, an unprecedented breakthrough would have taken place: a draft joint agreement initialed by the GRP and NDFP CASER-RWCs covering agrarian reform and rural development (ARRD) as well as national industrialization and economic development (NIED) would have been approved by the two peace panels.

If all went well, the entire CASER would be fast-tracked to completion by the first quarter of 2018, to be closely followed by accelerated negotiations on political and constitutional reforms (PCR), and a common draft General Amnesty Proclamation, something already dangled by Duterte to the NDFP even before he was sworn into office and which the NDFP had always made clear was their highest priority.

On top of these, stand down orders of both government and NPA forces would have been enforced, while earnest discussion on coordinated unilateral ceasefires would take place, the parameters of which would be less prone to violations, sabotage or provocations from either side than in the previous 6-month ceasefire.

To protect the delicate status of the negotiations from 鈥減eace spoilers鈥, the two sides agreed not to make any statements to the press until substantial progress had been achieved. In the face of such a looming advance in the peace talks, why did Duterte torpedo all the painstaking efforts of his own peace panel by issuing such seemingly rash and brash statements?

Duterte blamed the CPP/NPA for continuing attacks against the AFP and PNP that victimized civilians caught in the crossfire. But since there is no existing ceasefire of any kind, such clashes are bound to happen. Objectively speaking, there are ongoing peace negotiations precisely because there is an ongoing armed conflict.

NDFP pointed out that so many innocent civilians, accused to be NPA or supporting the NPA, had been killed in the course of the GRP鈥檚 counterinsurgency campaign but the NDFP had never made this a reason for abandoning the talks.

Subsequently Duterte said that the CPP/NPA/NDFP were making demands that he could not accede to. He made reference to how his order to release 19 NDFP consultants had been very generous and had been met with stern disapproval by the AFP and DND top officials. (Duterte had earlier said that he could not release a significant number of political prisoners since he would lose bargaining chips in the peace negotiations.) Duterte鈥檚 reneging on his promise to release political prisoners as repeatedly discussed and agreed upon in the first to the fourth round of talks, stands as the major obstacle to the implementation of what had been agreed upon in the most recent backchannel talks.

On Nov. 21, Duterte issued Memorandum No. 16 directing the NEDA to 鈥渆xert utmost efforts to lift or ease restrictions on certain investment areas 鈥 with limited foreign participation.鈥 This memorandum goes against the CASER provision on national industrialization agreed upon in the bilateral meetings. So it would appear that the GRP鈥檚 economic managers, with Duterte鈥檚 approval, have never had any intention of being bound by the CASER.

Duterte鈥檚 latest explanation is that the NDFP was demanding that the GRP form a 鈥渃oalition government鈥 with it, something he could not give as this would be tantamount to an infringement on the sovereignty of the GRP. A quick fact check however shows that it was Duterte who first made mention of his willingness to offer a 鈥渃oalition government鈥 with the NDFP as an outcome of the peace negotiations. Moreover, in none of the drafts on PCR that the NDFP has submitted to the GRP does the term 鈥渃oalition government鈥 ever appear.

In reality, Duterte鈥檚 explanations as to why he has canceled talks with the NDFP just don鈥檛 wash. One must look at other developments and context to find the answers.

For one, Duterte has unfolded as completely reactionary despite his posturing as a Leftist and a socialist and lately, his threat to impose a 鈥渞evolutionary government.鈥 He has not implemented a single one of the socioeconomic reforms he promised. He has upheld the vested interests of the oligarchs and foreign big business.

Despite sidling up to China and Russia to ask for economic and military aid, Duterte鈥檚 鈥渋ndependent foreign policy鈥 has not changed lopsided economic, political, and military relations with the US. And his much vaunted 鈥渨ar on drugs鈥 has only served to satisfy his bloodlust for small time drug users and pushers while suspected drug lords like his son go scot-free.

For another, Duterte鈥檚 authoritarian bent and militarism has become fully unmasked. He brooks no criticism. He is vindictive and uses his vast powers as president to go after his perceived enemies. He would use the state鈥檚 full coercive powers — the police, the military, the justice system — in a spree of extrajudicial killing, in declaring an unwarranted martial law, in destroying Marawi City purportedly to crush ISIS-inspired terrorists, in ratcheting up counterinsurgency operations against the NPA and in cracking down on activists and all opposition. His solution to deeply entrenched social problems is a mailed fist.

Duterte is now itching to declare a 鈥渞evolutionary government鈥 that is nothing but an open fascist dictatorship. It stands to reason that there is no room for peace negotiations in such a dire scenario.

 

Carol Pagaduan-Araullo is a medical doctor by training, social activist by choice, columnist by accident, happy partner to a liberated spouse and proud mother of two.

[email protected]